Nevada couple blame Internet for neglect

In summary: World of Warcraft. I told him not to play it while I was on the phone with him and he said he was just waiting for me to finish so he could play. Needless to say, I was really mad and I hung up on him.I fear it's something far more serious than just lack of self control.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
RENO, Nev. - A couple who authorities say were so obsessed with the Internet and video games that they left their babies starving and suffering other health problems have pleaded guilty to child neglect.

The children of Michael and Iana Straw, a boy age 22 months and a girl age 11 months, were severely malnourished and near death last month when doctors saw them after social workers took them to a hospital

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070716/ap_on_re_us/neglect_internet_addiction

They're blaming the internet, not their own idiocy and lack of self control.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
duh.. how can people be so dumb

Police said hospital staff had to shave the head of the girl because her hair was matted with cat urine.
:confused:
Beyond bizarre!

geeeez.. didnt read it the first time.. its really dumb.. hard to believe actually. how come one neglect so small babies??

Police said hospital staff had to shave the head of the girl because her hair was matted with cat urine. The 10-pound girl also had a mouth infection, dry skin and severe dehydration.

That is so sick! I doubt if the gamers even got up for toilet breaks. :grumpy:

As mentioned before, absolutely nothing to do with internet or games or whatever, it's "just" a serious mental disease.

radou said:
As mentioned before, absolutely nothing to do with internet or games or whatever, it's "just" a serious mental disease.

I definitely agree. The problem here is a lack of self control and sense of responsibility. The problem isn't the internet or the games, it's the people.

"obsessed with the Internet and video games"
Sadly I do know of people who have lost jobs and families because of this. I believe this is the first time I've heard of neglected children, to this extent, due to on line gameing obsession. I have heard of gambleing parents who have left children, days on end to gamble.
How very sad.

Reminds me of those people who died while playing World of Warcraft.

This is just my opinion, but wouldn't the game be somewhat inconsequential in this whole mess? I personally play WoW, and it's really not that great unless your goal is to kill some free time. Someone would need to have a horrible life before WoW would take priority. In that case, their life was crap before the internet and games.

If it wasn't the internet, it would have been something else.

G01 said:
I definitely agree. The problem here is a lack of self control and sense of responsibility. The problem isn't the internet or the games, it's the people.

ShawnD said:

This is just my opinion, but wouldn't the game be somewhat inconsequential in this whole mess? I personally play WoW, and it's really not that great unless your goal is to kill some free time. Someone would need to have a horrible life before WoW would take priority. In that case, their life was crap before the internet and games.

Both of you are basically making the same point, with which I fully agree. Obviously, the problem is their overall lack of responsibility and self-accountability. It doesn't surprise me that someone who would neglect two children would try to blame everyone but themselves, because if they had even a shred of responsibility or self-accountability, they wouldn't have neglected the children in the first place.

He received a $50,000 inheritance that he spent on computer equipment and a large plasma television, authorities said.
From this line, it's pretty obvious they were just idiots who were just focused on instant gratification.

ts.jpg

That story made me sick when I heard it. It's stories like this that help to spread violence in our country because I really want to kick both of their "you-know-whats." GARGH! I want to strangle someone.

The thing that REALLY po's me is that they are going to pull some mental deficiency defense.

G01 said:

I fear it's something far more serious than just lack of self control.

ShawnD said:

This reminded me of a recent situation when I called my friend and he said his girlfriend was over at his place and he was playing WOW.

I have to wonder that if they didn't have time to take care of these children, where did they find the time to eat, take restroom breaks, or even have the kids in the first place?

daveb said:
where did they find the time to eat, take restroom breaks, or even have the kids in the first place?

Presumably the connection was down! If they had switched to NTL the connection would have been down regulalrly enough that the kids would have been OK.

Actually that could be their new ad campaign.
"Worried that you kids are spending 24x7 on the net - switch to NTL and we that won't happen"

Last edited:
daveb said:
where did they find the time to eat, take restroom breaks, or even have the kids in the first place?

From what I gather, they had sex in the Deeprun Tram :wink:

1. What exactly happened with the Nevada couple and the Internet?

The Nevada couple, David and Louise Turpin, were accused of neglecting and torturing their 13 children. They claimed that they were not aware of their children's living conditions because they spent most of their time on the Internet.

2. Did the couple's excessive use of the Internet directly lead to the neglect of their children?

The exact cause of the neglect is still being investigated, but the couple's excessive use of the Internet could have contributed to their lack of awareness of their children's living conditions. However, it is ultimately the responsibility of the parents to ensure the safety and well-being of their children.

3. What role does the Internet play in cases of neglect and abuse?

The Internet can be a tool for communication and information, but it can also be a source of distraction and addiction. In cases of neglect and abuse, excessive use of the Internet can lead to a lack of attention and neglect of responsibilities, including the care of children.

4. How can we prevent similar cases of neglect and abuse caused by excessive Internet use?

It is important for parents and caregivers to set boundaries and limits for Internet use, especially when it comes to neglecting responsibilities and child care. It is also important for society to raise awareness about the potential negative effects of excessive Internet use and promote responsible and mindful use of technology.

5. What should be done to help the children who were neglected by this couple?

The children are currently receiving medical and psychological care, and efforts are being made to find them permanent homes. It is also important for the community to provide support and resources for the children as they recover from the neglect and abuse they experienced.

Back