Illegal/Dangerous chemical activities

• Thread starter chemisttree
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemical
In summary, the Physics Forum strictly prohibits any discussions or promotions of illegal and dangerous activities, particularly those involving the isolation, purification, and use of chemicals listed in List I and List II by 21 CFR 1310.02, controlled substances, and terrorism-related chemicals. It is our responsibility to adhere to ethical and legal standards in our discussions and experiments, and to promote a safe and productive environment for the exchange of knowledge and ideas.
chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Illegal/Dangerous Activities:
Explicit "how to" discussions of illegal and/or dangerous activities, or posts advocating such activities, are prohibited; such as: how to make explosives, manufacture crack, steal software, hack into the CIA, ...

The Physics Forum’s guidelines regarding “Illegal/Dangerous Activities” includes
any discussion dealing with the isolation, purification and use of chemicals listed as List I by 21 CFR 1310.02 or controlled substances of any schedule (21 CFR 1308.11-15). Discussions dealing with the isolation, purification and use of uncontrolled chemicals listed as List II by 21 CFR 1310.02 or uncontrolled chemicals which have been associated with the illegal manufacture of controlled substances are allowed but will be closely scrutinized by PF staff. Examples of uncontrolled chemicals that meet these criteria include ammonia, acetone, potassium or sodium permanganate, lithium metal, sodium metal, potassium metal and sodium or potassium hydroxide. A complete list of List I and List II chemicals as defined in 21 CFR 1310.02 can be found at the bottom of this message.

Discussions regarding home experimentation to isolate or purify List I chemicals and those chemicals associated with the manufacture of controlled substances and reactive ingredients in pyrotechnic mixtures is defined as a ‘dangerous activity’ in this Forum and is prohibited. The discussion of home experimentation to isolate and purify List II chemicals will be closely monitored by PF staff and may be locked or deleted for the reasons given above.

List I Chemicals (21 CFR 1310.02)
An-thranilic acid, its esters, and its salts, ben-zyl cyanide, ) ephe-drine, its salts, optical isomers, and salts of optical isomers, erg-onovine and its salts, erg-otamine and its salts, N-acet-ylant-hranilic acid, its esters, and its salts, nor-pseu-doephe-drine, its salts, optical isomers, and salts of optical isomers, phen-ylac-etic acid, its esters, and its salts, phen-ylpro-panol-amine, its salts, optical isomers, and salts of optical isomers, pip-eri-dine and its salts, pseu-doephe-drine, its salts, optical isomers, and salts of optical isomers, 3,4-methyl-enedi-oxyphenyl-2-prop-anone, me-thyla-mine and its salts, eth-yla-mine and its salts, pro-pion-ic anhydride, iso-saf-role, saf-role, pip-ero-nal, N-methyl-ephe-drine, its salts, optical isomers, and salts of optical isomers (N-methyl-ephe-drine), N-methyl-pseu-doephe-drine, its salts, optical isomers, and salts of optical isomers, hyd-riodic acid, benz-alde-hyde, nitroethane, ) gamma-buty-rol-actone (other names include: G-B-L; dihydro-2 (3H)-fur-anone; 1,2-buta-nolide; 1,4-buta-nolide; 4-hydro-xybuta-noic acid lac-tone; gamma-hydro-xyb-utyric acid lac-tone), red pho-spho-rus, white pho-spho-rus (other names: yellow pho-spho-rus), hypo-pho-spho-rous acid and its salts (including ammonium hyp-opho-sph-ite, calcium hyp-opho-sph-ite, iron hyp-opho-sph-ite, potassium hyp-opho-sph-ite, manganese hyp-opho-sph-ite, magnesium hyp-opho-sph-ite, sodium hyp-opho-sph-ite, N-phe-nethyl-4-pip-eri-done (N-P-P), iodine.

List II Chemicals (21 CFR 1310.02)
acetic anhydride, acetone, benzyl chloride, ethyl ether, potassium and sodium permanganate, 2-butanone (or methyl ethyl ketone or MEK), toluene, hydrochloric acid (including anhydrous hydrogen chloride), sulfuric acid, ) methyl isobutyl ketone (MIBK).

Controlled Substances and Analogues (21 CFR 1300-1308 and 21 CFR 1308.11-15)

Chemicals Listed in DEA Bulletins for illegal drugs...

http://www.justice.gov
and then search for "National Drug Threat Assessment"

For Terrorism related chemicals...

http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/chemsec_appendixa-chemicalofinterestlist.pdf

Obvious bad substances like strong oxidizers, pyrotechnics and highly toxic and volatile compounds will be watched carefully and home experimentation with same is strictly out of bounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Astronuc, berkeman, infactuality and 1 other person
Chemistry news on Phys.org

it is important to adhere to ethical and legal standards when conducting research and sharing information. The Physics Forum's guidelines regarding "Illegal/Dangerous Activities" are in place to ensure the safety and well-being of all members and to prevent the promotion of illegal or harmful activities.

It is crucial to recognize the potential dangers of discussing and experimenting with chemicals and substances listed as List I and List II by 21 CFR 1310.02, as well as controlled substances and analogues listed in DEA Bulletins and terrorism-related chemicals. These substances can be highly toxic, volatile, and pose a serious threat to public safety if not handled properly.

Therefore, it is important to strictly adhere to the guidelines set by the Physics Forum and refrain from discussing or advocating the use of these substances in any way. Any home experimentation with these substances is strictly prohibited and will be closely monitored by forum staff.

As scientists, it is our responsibility to use our knowledge and expertise for the betterment of society and to promote ethical and responsible conduct in our research and discussions. Let us all work together to create a safe and productive environment for the exchange of ideas and knowledge.

It is clear from the Physics Forum’s guidelines that any discussions regarding illegal or dangerous activities, such as the manufacturing of controlled substances or explosives, are strictly prohibited. This includes any discussion dealing with the isolation, purification, and use of chemicals listed as List I by 21 CFR 1310.02 or controlled substances of any schedule (21 CFR 1308.11-15). Discussions regarding home experimentation with List II chemicals will also be closely monitored by forum staff.

The forum's guidelines also provide a list of chemicals that are considered dangerous and are closely monitored, including explosives, strong oxidizers, and highly toxic and volatile compounds. Any discussion of home experimentation with these substances is strictly prohibited.

It is important to follow these guidelines to ensure the safety of all forum members and to comply with legal regulations. Thank you for understanding and adhering to these rules.