ZapperZ's Great Outdoors Photo Contest

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
In summary: Those are great! The first one is my favorite-pure snow with a perfect sky.This shot is not of the caliber of many here, but I needed to get out and capture some fall colors today. This is a pair of apple trees at a scenic overlook dedicated to the Old Canada Road.
Chi Meson said:
This is actually on-topic:

Before we had the kids, my wife and I did a lot of outdoor travels, and all my photographs from that era are slides and negatives. I've been planning for the last 4 years to get a scanner and convert those emulsions to digital. Any word among the photogs here which way to go with slide/neg scanners?
I have used an HP desktop scanner to scan slides, which worked fairly well, except for fine detail. I tended to shoot higher speed film ASA200 or 400, and the slides were somewhat grainy. Others have had better success with Kodachrome or Ektachrome.

These days people recommend Nikon's Coolscan 2000/4000 or Canon's Canoscan 4400 series.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ProductCatIndexAct&fcategoryid=120 - Lowest is about $100, and seems somewhat like an HP scanner.

More expensive

Nikon Super Coolscan 2000
http://nikonimaging.com/global/products/scanner/scoolscan_2000/

SUPER COOLSCAN 4000 ED (LS-4000 ED)
http://nikonimaging.com/global/products/scanner/scoolscan_4000/index.htm

For an idea of cost - http://google-cnet.com.com/4144-5_9.html?query=4000+coolscan+nikon

http://search.ebay.com/nikon-coolscan-2000_W0QQfnuZ1QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ32QQrprZ8QQxpufuZx

For Nikon, the Coolscan 2000 may be discontinued in favor of 4000/5000/9000. Prices are a several $100's on up.

A Solution for Transferring 35-mm Slide Collections into a Digital Teaching-File Database System
http://www.ajronline.org/cgi/content/full/184/4/1353

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks Larkspur! That's been bugging me for ages :smile:

Virginia Creeper Trail

I took this while biking the http://www.vacreepertrail.com/" on Sunday. The sun was on it's way down creating a golden glow on the Autumn leaves. It is such a beautiful ride this time of year.

1990018355_4230a8b182.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very pretty shot, larkspur!

turbo-1 said:
Very pretty shot, larkspur!
Thanks Turbo! It is not hard to take a pretty photo when you have such a beautiful scene to capture.

Cade's Cove on a cloudy morning. The sun was trying to break through. Click the image to see a larger view.
2048823942_2e4637bdc3.jpg

larkspur said:
Cade's Cove on a cloudy morning. The sun was trying to break through. Click the image to see a larger view.

WOW!

Nice...now I'd like to know how you either got that shot or ps 'd it to look that way...

I know that you can get the sun rays by increasing the aperture though..

~christina~ said:
WOW!

Nice...now I'd like to know how you either got that shot or ps 'd it to look that way...

wow your right! that's a nice photo there...
well i guess must post one here too...well I am kinda go to a gadgets guys my latest is the stilleto 2 a satellite radio well love it because i can bring it anywhere i go... but I am into a photos also because I am a neture lover too guys well i don't have pics here right now but here is one that i could share to you..

6ufd9ig.jpg

----------------
!many thanks!
6t01koy.jpg

tAcHibaMaboi

~christina~ said:
WOW!

I took three shots with the same aperture but different shutter speeds[this is called bracketing] then merged them in PS. With film I could have dodged and burned areas during development to get this effect.

larkspur said:

Beautiful Larkspur. I've been there in Cade's Cove - about 35 years ago! Long time no see. I've been in and around the area, but have had the time to stop in a see the Smoky Mountains since.

Astronuc said:
Beautiful Larkspur. I've been there in Cade's Cove - about 35 years ago! Long time no see. I've been in and around the area, but have had the time to stop in a see the Smoky Mountains since.
Cade's Cove is about an hours drive for me. I go there often. So many photographic opportunities.:smile:

larkspur said:
Cade's Cove is about an hours drive for me. I go there often. So many photographic opportunities.:smile:
Cool! I've been to Chattanooga and Knoxville several times over the past couple decades on projects/meetings with TVA and ORNL. I'd love to get back down there and spend some free time in the Smokies. I like the area around Bristol TN/VA, but I don't care much for the development along I-81.

Abingdon, Va is one of my favorite places. It's not far from Bristol. I like to ride the Virginia Creeper trail on my bike. A beautiful ride.

scorpa said:
Not on the level of awesome that the rest of these pictures are on but this was taken back home when I found a patch of wild roses in the hay field

Lovely!

I took this at the beach a few weeks ago.
1582188247_5d4416feba.jpg

scorpa said:
Not on the level of awesome that the rest of these pictures are on but this was taken back home when I found a patch of wild roses in the hay field

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/Scorpa/x1pbglk-vqL4Bu_5K6UsXWIBtm_OIYHL-4.jpg
Sweet and simple! And beautiful, scorpa!

larkspur said:
I took this at the beach a few weeks ago.
1582188247_5d4416feba.jpg
Nice pic. My, Larkspur - you sure do get around!

Last edited by a moderator:
larkspur said:
Abingdon, Va is one of my favorite places. It's not far from Bristol. I like to ride the Virginia Creeper trail on my bike. A beautiful ride.
I found the link to the Virginia Creeper trail. Seems to be a rail trail - perhaps an old NS line.

larkspur said:
I took three shots with the same aperture but different shutter speeds[this is called bracketing] then merged them in PS. With film I could have dodged and burned areas during development to get this effect.

HD?!??!

I tried it the same technique but it looked like :yuck: for me..not sure but It looked like a black and white picture...I think I have to adjust something.

I'll try it again when I'm on break.

Autumn in the Danube Valley

dv_003-tn.JPG

Pic taken from the ruins of "Schloss Hausen" looking east, Google Earth fly to 48.0895N 09.035E

The complete panorama covers some 135 degrees:

dv_002-tn.JPG

1 : 1 Detail

detail.JPG

Last edited:
Beautiful Andre!

matthyaouw said:
Beautiful Andre!
Very beautiful, indeed!

Andre said:

Nice pics.

It looks like they mow the grass there :rofl:

~christina~ said:
Nice pics.

It looks like they mow the grass there :rofl:

Thanks, and actually, yes, they do. The peasants here like to have their meadows look like lawns. And the sheep here also like that in winter time.

So I'll see if I can get out there tomorrow again and redo the same scenario but now with half a foot of snow cover.

I haven't kept up with this thread, and I've got to say every new entry on page 4 is a winner! There are some talented photographers on this forum!

The Netherlands, Westerpark Zoetermeer today after three days of freezing fog:

ff3.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful. I am hoping I can find the ice storms pictures from a few years ago.

yeah the world gets unreal with such events and yes it's a dog on that bridge.

Reed panicle a few steps further:

P1010363-1.jpg

Andre said:

dv_003-tn.JPG

Pic taken from the ruins of "Schloss Hausen" looking east, Google Earth fly to 48.0895N 09.035E

The complete panorama covers some 135 degrees:

dv_002-tn.JPG

1 : 1 Detail

detail.JPG

Somehow I missed these...Gorgeous! Great color.

I also love the frosty shots! I doubt I will see any snow this year.

Astronuc said:
I found the link to the Virginia Creeper trail. Seems to be a rail trail - perhaps an old NS line.

Yes, it is an old rail trail. Some of the tressels we ride over are amazing.

~christina~ said:
HD?!??!

I tried it the same technique but it looked like :yuck: for me..not sure but It looked like a black and white picture...I think I have to adjust something.

I'll try it again when I'm on break.

I find the best results when I bracket 1/2 steps as long as the exposure is close, but on this one, I believe I bracketed by 1.5 steps.

Andre said:
The Netherlands, Westerpark Zoetermeer today after three days of freezing fog:

ff3.jpg

Same bridge today, dog is gone.

P1010433-1.jpg

more later.

Same bridge and dog yesterday

bridge-westerpark_002-1.jpg

and dogless today:

bridge_sun002-1.jpg

This picture is a merge of three portrait shape pics with 36 mm equivalent, actual size 3120 x `1434 px. Camera Panasonic FZ8

Of course Holland would not be holland if there wasn't a bike within visual range:

Same area:

P1010456-1.jpg

Andre said:
bridge_sun002-1.jpg

This picture is a merge of three portrait shape pics with 36 mm equivalent, actual size 3120 x `1434 px. Camera Panasonic FZ8

This really brings out the blue in the sky keeping the whites exposed nicely also.

Nice job Andre!:approve:

It has finally been cold enough for icicles. I found these at Bald River Falls yesterday.
2208359332_d94807066f.jpg