Complex Numbers: Eigenvalues and Roots

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's difficulty with solving complex number problems and the possibility of the computer not accepting the correct input. The student receives confirmation on their solutions and is advised to check how the computer accepts complex numbers. The conversation also mentions solving eigenvalue problems and the need to convert answers to decimal form for the computer to accept them.
Canadian
[SOLVED] Complex Numbers: Eigenvalues and Roots

Below are some problems I am having trouble with, the computer is telling me my answers are wrong. It may be the way I am inputting the numbers but as my final is in a week and a half I would like to be sure.

Thanks,

Eigenvalue1.jpg

Eigenvalue2.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
All your answers look correct to me.

To compute (-81)^(1/4), can you write -81 in polar form? Then use the same method you used on the last problem.

I'm also getting (lambda)^3 = 0 for the characteristic equation on that first matrix. Since there are supposed to be three eigenvalues, could the computer want you to input three zeroes?

On the second one, you want to apply deMoivre's Theorem, as you did on the last problem, after writing -81 in polar form. There will be four complex roots (none of them real). [I can just barely read that, BTW: is that -81^(1/4) or -81^(3/4)?]

Your solution for the last problem looks to be correct. Does the computer accept expressions like 2^(1/3) cos (pi/9) as a part of a complex number or do you need to get out a calculator and find decimal approximations for the parts?

I'll have to get back to you shortly on the second eigenvalue problem.

Your answer to the third problem looks OK to me, too. Again, will the computer take sqrt(5) as an entry or do you need to give it 2.236? Make sure you are entering all your complex number results as two parts. You may need to check with someone as to what the acceptable form for complex number entry is.

Thanks for the help, the two eigenvalue questions were accepted after putting the answer in decimal form.

I'm headed off to bed now, will try the rest tomorrow morning.

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both real and imaginary components. They are written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers, and i is the imaginary unit, defined as the square root of -1.

2. What are eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are concepts used in linear algebra to represent the properties of a linear transformation or matrix. An eigenvalue is a scalar that represents the factor by which an eigenvector is scaled when multiplied by the transformation or matrix. The eigenvector is a vector that is not affected by the transformation, except for being scaled by the eigenvalue.

3. How are complex numbers and eigenvalues related?

Complex numbers can be thought of as eigenvalues of a matrix with complex entries. When a matrix is multiplied by a complex number, the result is another complex number, which can be seen as the eigenvalue. Similarly, the eigenvectors of a matrix with complex entries are also complex numbers.

4. What is the significance of eigenvalues and eigenvectors in mathematics?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are used to solve many problems in mathematics, including linear algebra, differential equations, and optimization. They provide a way to simplify complex problems and find important properties of a system or matrix.

5. How are complex roots related to eigenvalues?

Complex roots are closely related to eigenvalues, as they represent the values at which a polynomial equation or characteristic equation has a root. The eigenvalues of a matrix are the roots of its characteristic equation, and they can be complex numbers in certain cases.