Roots of complex numbers

Therefore,(2e^{\frac{5}{18}\pi i})^{3k}+(2e^{\frac{17}{18}\pi i})^{3k}+(2e^{\frac{29}{18}\pi i})^{3k}2^{3k}(e^{\frac{5k}{6}\pi i}+e^{\frac{5k}{6}\pi i}+e^{\frac{5
rock.freak667
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Find the roots of the equation
[tex]z^3=-(4\sqrt{3})+4i[/tex]

giving your answers in the form [itex]re^{i\theta}[/itex], where r>0 and [itex]0\leq \theta<2\pi[/itex]

Denoting these roots by [itex]z_1,z_2,z_3[/itex], show that, for every positive integer k.

[tex]z_1^{3k}+z_2^{3k}+z_3^{3k}=3(2^{3k}e^{\frac{5}{6}k\pi i})[/tex]

Homework Equations

complex number formulas

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]z^3=-(4\sqrt{3})+4i[/tex]

[tex]= z^3=8e^{\frac{5}{6}\pi i}[/tex][tex]z=2e^{\frac{5}{18}\pi i}[/tex]

[tex]z=2e^{(\frac{5}{18}\pi + \frac{2k}{3})i}[/tex] k=0,1,2

therefore the roots are

[tex]z=2e^{\frac{5}{18}\pi i},2e^{\frac{17}{18}\pi i},2e^{\frac{29}{18}\pi i}[/tex]

subbing the roots into what they want me to show[tex](2e^{\frac{5}{18}\pi i})^{3k}+(2e^{\frac{17}{18}\pi i})^{3k}+(2e^{\frac{29}{18}\pi i})^{3k}[/tex]

[tex]2^{3k}(e^{\frac{5k}{6}\pi i}+e^{\frac{17k}{6}\pi i}+e^{\frac{29k}{18}\pi i})[/tex]

[tex]2^{3k}e^{\frac{5}{6}\pi i}(1+e^{2k}+e^{4k})[/tex]

Now I am stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
rock.freak667 said:
[tex](2e^{\frac{5}{18}\pi i})^{3k}+(2e^{\frac{17}{18}\pi i})^{3k}+(2e^{\frac{29}{18}\pi i})^{3k}[/tex]

[tex]2^{3k}(e^{\frac{5k}{6}\pi i}+e^{\frac{17k}{6}\pi i}+e^{\frac{29k}{\mathbf{18}}\pi i})[/tex] ...mistake

[tex]2^{3k}e^{\frac{5}{6}\pi i}(1+e^{2k}+e^{4k})[/tex] ...mistake

Now I am stuck.

It should be

[tex]e^{\frac{17k}{6}\pi i}=e^{\frac{5k}{6}\pi i}\,e^{\frac{12k}{6}\pi i}=e^{\frac{5k}{6}\pi i}\,e^{2\,k\,\pi i}=e^{\frac{5k}{6}\pi i}[/tex]

1. What are the roots of complex numbers?

The roots of complex numbers are the solutions to the equation z^n = w, where z is a complex number, n is a positive integer, and w is the desired output. There are n distinct roots for this equation, which can be found using the polar form of complex numbers.

2. How do you find the roots of a complex number?

To find the roots of a complex number, you can use the polar form of complex numbers, where z = r(cosθ + isinθ). The n distinct roots will have the form r^(1/n)[cos((θ+2kπ)/n) + isin((θ+2kπ)/n)], where k is an integer from 0 to n-1. Choosing different values of k will give you all the possible roots.

3. Can complex numbers have imaginary roots?

Yes, complex numbers can have imaginary roots. In fact, any complex number with a nonzero imaginary part will have imaginary roots. These roots will have the form ±r^(1/n)[cos((θ+2kπ)/n) + isin((θ+2kπ)/n)], where k is an integer from 0 to n-1 and r and θ are the polar coordinates of the complex number.

4. What is the relationship between the roots of a complex number and its degree?

The relationship between the roots of a complex number and its degree is that a complex number of degree n will have n distinct roots. This is based on the fundamental theorem of algebra, which states that a polynomial of degree n will have n complex roots, including repeated roots.

5. How are the roots of a complex number related to its conjugate?

The roots of a complex number and its conjugate are related in that they are complex conjugates of each other. This means that if one root is a+bi, the other root will be a-bi. In general, the roots of a complex number will always come in conjugate pairs, which can be seen in the polar form of complex numbers.