Find max. speed with Static Friction

In summary, the problem involves finding the maximum speed a car can negotiate a curve without skidding, given a designated speed for the ramp, a radius of the curve, and the coefficient of static friction between the tires and the road. The formula used is Vmax = square root of (µ(static) g r), where Vmax is the maximum velocity, µ is the coefficient of static friction, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and r is the radius of the curve. The calculated maximum velocity was 10.485 m/s, however, this may not have been the correct answer in this particular case.
iLove
Suppose the designated speed for the ramp is to be 13.2 m/s (29.5 mi/h) and the radius of the curve is 34 m.

The coefficient of static friction between the tires and the road is 0.33. What maximum speed could a car negotiate the exit ramp without skidding?

Vmax = square root of (µ(static) g r)

Vmax = Maximum velocity
g = Acceleration due to gravity (9.80 m/sec^2)
r = Radius of curve
µ = Coefficient of static friction

Vmax = 10.485 m/s

however, this answer wasn't right. what am i doing wrong? THANKS.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi iLove! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Can you give us a little more information?

I can't quite picture this … is there a curve and an exit ramp, or are they the same thing?

And what is the relevance of the designated speed?

And I don't understand where g comes into it. :confused:

Hi tiny-tim :)
No, there is no exit ramp, just a curve. But I already got the problem solved because it was due 25 minutes ago.

Thank you for making me feel welcomed ^^

Hi iLove! :smile:

I'm glad you solved it!

(you can mark it "SOLVED" by clicking on Thread Tools on the menu bar)

Do leave a bit more time next time … and remember, most of the people on this forum are asleep at this time of day! :zzz:

1. What is static friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents two stationary surfaces from moving against each other.

2. How is static friction different from kinetic friction?

Static friction only occurs when two surfaces are not moving relative to each other, while kinetic friction occurs when two surfaces are in motion.

3. How do you calculate the maximum speed with static friction?

The maximum speed with static friction can be calculated by using the equation v = μs * g * t, where μs is the coefficient of static friction, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time it takes for an object to reach its maximum speed.

4. What factors affect static friction?

The coefficient of static friction, the weight of the object, and the roughness of the surfaces in contact are all factors that can affect static friction.

5. Can the maximum speed with static friction ever be greater than the coefficient of static friction?

No, the maximum speed with static friction cannot be greater than the coefficient of static friction. This is because the coefficient of static friction represents the maximum amount of force that can be applied to an object before it starts to move, and the maximum speed is dependent on this force.