Fundamental Frequency of an organ

In summary, the fundamental frequency of an open-closed tube is half that of an open-open or a closed-closed tube of the same length. If the organ pipe is cut in half, the new frequency is 2f0.
Foxhound101

Homework Statement

An open organ pipe (i.e., a pipe open at both ends) of length L0 has a fundamental frequency f0.

Part A
If the organ pipe is cut in half, what is the new fundamental frequency?

4f0
2f0
f0
f0
f0

Part B
Part C

This part will be visible after you complete previous item(s).

Homework Equations

f=v/2L

The Attempt at a Solution

I am really confused by the standing waves and fundamental frequencies. The book does not do a good job explaining how this all works.

Anyways...for this individual problem I was thinking it might be 2f0.

if L is half as long, then the frequency is twice as big?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds good to me.

Thank you Kurdt. 2f0 was the correct answer.

Part B has revealed itself.

Part B
After being cut in half in Part A, the organ pipe is closed off at one end. What is the new fundamental frequency?

Homework Equations

f=v/2L

The Attempt at a Solution

The fundamental frequency of an open-closed tube is half that of an open-open or a closed-closed tube of the same length.

So...that means that the answer is f0/2?

Well be careful because remember the pipe was halved as well.

Hm...so...

Cutting it in half made the frequency 2f0

Then making it open-closed...

2f0/2 = f0?

Yes. That seems fine.

Part C
The air from the pipe in Part B (i.e., the original pipe after being cut in half and closed off at one end) is replaced with helium. (The speed of sound in helium is about three times faster than in air.). What is the approximate new fundamental frequency?

3f0
2f0
f0
f0/2
f0/3

I'm thinking the frequency gets bigger...so...3f0?

This is the last part of this question.

Yes that seems Ok too. :smile:

What is the fundamental frequency of an organ?

The fundamental frequency of an organ is the lowest frequency at which the organ can produce a stable tone. It is determined by the length, thickness, and tension of the organ's vibrating parts.

How is the fundamental frequency of an organ measured?

The fundamental frequency of an organ can be measured by using a device called a frequency counter, which measures the number of vibrations per second of the organ's sound waves. It can also be calculated using mathematical formulas based on the organ's physical characteristics.

What factors affect the fundamental frequency of an organ?

The fundamental frequency of an organ is affected by several factors, including the size and shape of the organ's vibrating parts, the material they are made of, and the amount of tension applied to them. Temperature and humidity can also have an impact on the fundamental frequency.

Why is the fundamental frequency important in organ music?

The fundamental frequency is important in organ music because it determines the pitch of the organ's sound. By adjusting the fundamental frequency, the organist can change the pitch of the notes being played, allowing for a wider range of musical expression and the ability to play in different musical keys.

Can the fundamental frequency of an organ be changed?

Yes, the fundamental frequency of an organ can be changed by adjusting the length, thickness, or tension of its vibrating parts. This can be done manually by an organ tuner or through electronic means using a device called a pitch changer. However, changing the fundamental frequency too much can cause the organ's sound to become unstable or produce unwanted overtones.