Find the coefficient of static friction help?

In summary, to find the coefficient of static friction in this problem, you need to use Newton's first law and set the maximum friction force, F_s, equal to the weight component of the object. This can be solved by plugging in the mass of the object and hoping it cancels out when solving the equation.
rich6490

Homework Statement

An object rests on an inclined plane. One end of the plane is lifted until the object begins to slide. If the angle at which the object begins to slide is 35 degrees, what is the coefficient of static friction?

Homework Equations

Possibly Fk=("mew"k)N

The Attempt at a Solution

Not even sure where to begin, just knowing the angle can I even solve this problem. Thanks for the help I really appreciate it.

Zach

Physics news on Phys.org
You need the mass of the object at the least to solve the problem. Otherwise, this is an impossible problem.

I talked to a TA at my college, he wouldn't really help me but he said its not that bad of a problem, and to just plug in M for mass, and hope it cancels out when you solve the equations. I'm still a bit confused, so anyones input is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

rich6490 said:
I talked to a TA at my college, he wouldn't really help me but he said its not that bad of a problem, and to just plug in M for mass, and hope it cancels out when you solve the equations. I'm still a bit confused, so anyones input is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.
Yes, the TA is correct. The object is just on the verge of sliding , but still at rest, when the angle reaches 35 degrees. Therefore, Newton 1 applies, where the max friction force up the plane, F_s =(mu)_s(N) (not F_k or mu_k, which you have incorrectly noted) is balanced by the object's weight component down the plane. Hope that the M cancels when you solve the equation.

1. What is the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is a value that represents the force needed to keep an object at rest on a surface. It is a dimensionless number that is determined by the nature of the two surfaces in contact.

2. How do you calculate the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction can be calculated by dividing the maximum force of static friction by the normal force acting on an object. This can be represented by the equation μs = Fmax/N, where μs is the coefficient of static friction, Fmax is the maximum force of static friction, and N is the normal force.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is affected by the nature of the two surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the amount of force pushing the two surfaces together. It also depends on external factors such as temperature and humidity.

4. Why is finding the coefficient of static friction important?

The coefficient of static friction is important because it helps determine the minimum force needed to keep an object at rest on a surface. It is also used in various engineering and physics applications, such as designing structures and predicting the motion of objects.

5. How can I find the coefficient of static friction experimentally?

To find the coefficient of static friction experimentally, you can use a ramp and gradually increase the angle until an object on the ramp begins to slide. The coefficient of static friction can then be calculated using the angle of inclination and the known mass of the object.