In QM: How to derive <x|f> from f_n(x)?

• Thread starter mishla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derive Qm
In summary, the conversation discusses how to get the equivalent representation of a function f_n(x) as <x|f> and how to derive energy eigenstates in both the abstract number basis and the concrete position representation. The abstract number basis is the same as f_n(x) and the concrete position representation is the sum of f_n(x) over all n. The conversation also corrects a misspelling and provides an example of an energy eigenstate in both the abstract and concrete basis.
mishla

Homework Statement

If you have a function f_n(x), how do you get the equivalent representation <x|f>?

Homework Equations

I have a system with a given Hamiltonian (not in matrix-form), from which I derived the specter of energy eigenvalues E_n, and the corresponding energy eigenfunctions f_n(x). However, I am asked to derive the eigenstates in the form <x|f> also, how do I do that?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
f_n(x) is equivalent to [itex]\left< x | f_n \right>[/itex]

By the way, it is "spectrum", not "specter". Although, with Halloween coming, it may be appropriate!

As gabbagabbahey said, f_n(x) IS [itex]\left< x | f_n \right>[/itex] . <x, f> is the sum of [itex]\left< x | f_n \right>[/itex] over all n.

Thanks for the answers! So what is then meant by

“When you have found the spectrum of energy-eigenvalues, find the corresponding energy-eigenstates, both the abstract number basis and the concrete position-representation <x|f>.”?

Is “the abstract number basis” the same as f_n(x) (the one I have found)? And is “the concrete position representation <x|f>” then the sum of f_n(x) over all n?

And thanks for the correction of my misspelling, English is not my mother tounge…

Suppose one of the energy eigenstates in some abstract basis was

[tex]|f_1 \rangle =\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} |x \rangle -\frac{i}{\sqrt{2}} |y \rangle[/tex]

Then in the concrete basis it would be [itex]f_1(x)=\langle x|f_1 \rangle=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]

What is the purpose of deriving from f_n(x) in quantum mechanics?

The purpose of this derivation is to determine the probability amplitude for a quantum system to transition from an initial state . This is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that allows us to calculate the likelihood of a particular outcome in a quantum measurement.

What is the mathematical formula for ?

The mathematical formula for is the inner product of the final state vector |f> and the bra vector = ∫f_n(x)*x dx, where f_n(x) is the wave function for the final state and x is the position variable.

How is the derivation of from f_n(x) related to the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of a quantum system. The derivation of from f_n(x) is a mathematical process that uses the Schrödinger equation to find the probability amplitude for a quantum system to transition from an initial state to a final state.

What are the key steps in deriving from f_n(x)?

The key steps in deriving from f_n(x) include: 1) defining the wave function for the final state |f>, 2) using the Schrödinger equation to find the time evolution of the wave function, 3) solving for the wave function at a specific time t, 4) taking the inner product of the final state vector |f> and the bra vector

What is the physical interpretation of the value of ?

The physical interpretation of the value of is the probability amplitude for a quantum system to transition from an initial state . It represents the likelihood of observing a particular outcome in a quantum measurement, and is related to the probability of the system collapsing into the final state |f>.