What is the name to refer to the width of one graphic function

In summary, the individual is inquiring about the technical name of the width of a graphic function and suggests amplitude as a possibility. However, others suggest the terms width, x extent, or delta x as more appropriate. The individual clarifies that this question is not part of a larger problem and expresses difficulty in viewing the provided image. Others mention that the distance shown with the arrow is dependent on the value of y and suggest the term "Latus Rectum" for conic sections.
lanz
Hi,

I want to know the technical name of the width of a graphic funcion.

In the example I give at the bottom, the width of the function is painted by an arrow. Maybe the noun is amplitude?

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/8905/graphfh8.png

Thanks with anticipation

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Not amplitude, I would say either width, x extent, or delta x [tex]\Delta x[/tex]

Welcome to PF!

lanz said:
I want to know the technical name of the width of a graphic funcion.

In the example I give at the bottom, the width of the function is painted by an arrow. Maybe the noun is amplitude?

Hi lanz! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Is this part of a larger problem?

You seem to be asking for the name of something that has no physical or mathematical significance. :confused:

tiny-tim said:
Hi lanz! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Is this part of a larger problem?

You seem to be asking for the name of something that has no physical or mathematical significance. :confused:

hi,

No, it is not a part of larger problem no it`s simply that question

mgb_phys said:
Not amplitude, I would say either width, x extent, or delta x [tex]\Delta x[/tex]

Thank you for teh answer but I can´t see the picture you have put

lanz said:
Thank you for teh answer but I can´t see the picture you have put

I can see from the code that mgb_phys's LaTeX says "or ∆x" :wink:

Of course, the distance you have shown with the arrow is NOT a property of the function alone. It depends upon the exact value of y also.

If you meant that width where y is the y- coordinate of the focus, then your line, through the focus of the parabola and parallel to the directrix, is the "Latus Rectum" and your width is the length of the latus rectum. Of course, that only exists for conic sections.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the name to refer to the width of one graphic function?

The name to refer to the width of one graphic function is the "domain" or "x-axis". This represents the range of values for the independent variable of the function.

What is the difference between the domain and the range of a graphic function?

The domain of a graphic function represents the values of the independent variable, while the range represents the values of the dependent variable. In other words, the domain is the input and the range is the output of the function.

Why is understanding the domain important in graphing a function?

Understanding the domain is important in graphing a function because it determines the values that can be used as inputs for the function. If the domain is not specified correctly, the graph may not accurately represent the function.

Can the domain of a function be any set of numbers?

No, the domain of a function must be a valid set of numbers that can be used as inputs for the function. This means that the domain must be real numbers for most functions, but can also be integers, fractions, or specific restrictions depending on the function.

How can the domain of a function be determined?

The domain of a function can be determined by looking at the restrictions on the function, such as the type of function, the variables involved, and any specific values that are not allowed. It can also be determined through mathematical calculations or by looking at the graph of the function.