Physical interpretation of spacetime curvature?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of spacetime curvature and how it is affected by the presence of a moving mass. There is a question about whether spacetime stretches or grows in response to this curvature, and various visualization techniques are suggested to better understand this phenomenon. Ultimately, it is acknowledged that the true nature of spacetime is still not fully understood.
asimov42
Folks,

I'm in the process of trying to understand spacetime curvature in general relativity. My question might sound odd, but I'm wondering how to best conceptualize spacetime distortions due to a moving mass. If there is a large mass, e.g. a planet, moving through spacetime, the curvature will change. Does spacetime 'stretch' with the change in curvature? Or does it 'grow', i.e. is there somehow an increase in the 'amount' of spacetime in one region as the mass moves, and a corresponding contraction in region the mass previous occupied? (if that makes any sense) Or am I completely off track?

Thanks all.

Physics news on Phys.org
divergence is best visualized as stretching. curl as twisting. if you are asking what 'really' happens to space then I can't help you.

You can also try visualizing the structure of space as Penrose spin networks...think of a geodesic (dome) shape with volumes represented by integer value at nodes, surface areas by integer values along links...an integer represents a Planck length...they change an integer at a time and shapes change/deform/transition in discrete steps...according to mass, energy and pressure...all of which curve space...

1. What is spacetime curvature?

Spacetime curvature is a concept in Einstein's theory of General Relativity that explains the bending or warping of spacetime caused by the presence of massive objects. It is often depicted as a fabric or grid that is distorted by the mass of an object, such as a planet or star.

2. How is spacetime curvature measured?

Spacetime curvature is measured using the mathematical concept of curvature, which is represented by the Riemann curvature tensor. This tensor describes the curvature of spacetime at a specific point, taking into account the presence of matter. It can be calculated using Einstein's field equations.

3. What causes spacetime curvature?

The main cause of spacetime curvature is the presence of matter and energy. According to Einstein's theory, these objects create a gravitational field that curves the fabric of spacetime. The more massive an object is, the more it curves the spacetime around it.

4. How does spacetime curvature affect the motion of objects?

Spacetime curvature affects the motion of objects by causing them to follow a curved path in the presence of a gravitational field. This is known as geodesic motion, and it explains why objects in orbit around a massive body, such as a planet, follow a curved trajectory instead of a straight line.

5. Can spacetime curvature be observed?

Yes, spacetime curvature can be observed through various phenomena, such as gravitational lensing, which occurs when the light from a distant object is bent by the curvature of spacetime around a massive object. It can also be observed in the behavior of objects in orbit, as well as in the gravitational redshift of light. However, direct observation of the curvature of spacetime is still a challenge for scientists and requires advanced technology.