Help with Identifying the group in ionic compund formulas

In summary, the conversation discusses identifying the group to which X belongs in various ionic compound formulas. The first formula, MgX, is determined to belong to group 16, but there is difficulty determining the group for the next two formulas. The problem is that X must balance two negative charges.
NickP717

Homework Statement

Identify the group to which X belongs in each ionic compound formula. Enter your response using the group number.

a) MgX
b)XCl2
c) XF2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The first one I figured out was group 16. However, the next two I thought were group 1, but I keep getting the wrong answer. Help anyone?

Physics news on Phys.org
What must be X valence?

NickP717 said:

Homework Statement

Identify the group to which X belongs in each ionic compound formula. Enter your response using the group number.

a) MgX
b)XCl2
c) XF2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The first one I figured out was group 16. However, the next two I thought were group 1, but I keep getting the wrong answer. Help anyone?

Its got to balance two negative charges so...

1. What is an ionic compound?

An ionic compound is a type of chemical compound that is composed of positively charged ions (called cations) and negatively charged ions (called anions). These ions are held together by strong electrostatic forces, creating a stable structure.

2. How do I identify the group in an ionic compound formula?

To identify the group in an ionic compound formula, you need to first determine the charges of the ions present. The group is usually the element that is present in the compound with an overall charge of 0, as it does not gain or lose electrons in the compound.

3. Can an ionic compound have more than one group?

Yes, an ionic compound can have more than one group. This is because some elements can form ions with different charges, resulting in multiple groups in the compound.

4. Why are groups important in ionic compounds?

Groups are important in ionic compounds because they determine the overall charge and chemical properties of the compound. The group with the highest charge will dictate the overall properties of the compound.

5. How do I write the formula for an ionic compound with multiple groups?

To write the formula for an ionic compound with multiple groups, you need to first determine the charges of each ion and then use the crisscross method to balance the charges. This involves writing the charge of one ion as the subscript of the other ion and vice versa, and then simplifying the subscripts to their lowest ratio.