Calculating Electric Field at (2.00,0)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electric field at a specific position (2.00, 0) with multiple charges present. It mentions using superposition to calculate the total electric field and clarifies the distances involved. It also addresses the possibility of a different position (0, 2.00) and the use of Pythagorean theorem to find the distances in that case.
-EquinoX-

Homework Statement

6r1003.jpg

Find the electric field at position (2.00, 0)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am just confused by the question actually, does it mean at point 2 m to the right of 0,0? or is it to the left?

The way I would solve this problem is by finding the electric field that each charges made 2 m from the point, for example the -.4nC, we can find the electric field at 2.00 by ke * -.4nC/2.5^2, and as well for the others and sum them all together, am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
-EquinoX- said:
I am just confused by the question actually, does it mean at point 2 m to the right of 0,0?

Yes. The way I read the diagram, the 5nC is at the origin and they are asking for the point 1.2 m to the right of the 3nC charge.

The way I would solve this problem is by finding the electric field that each charges made 2 m from the point, for example the -.4nC, we can find the electric field at 2.00 by ke * -.4nC/2.5^2, and as well for the others and sum them all together, am I right?

Yes. Superposition is right. The distances for each (left to right) to be clear would be 2.5, 2, 1.2 .
Mind your signs.

so basically it's just ke * -.4nC/2.5^2 + ke * 5nC/2^2 + ke * 3nC/1.2^2

That's what it looks like to me.

What if the question now is (0, 2.00) instead of (2.00,0)?

-EquinoX- said:
What if the question now is (0, 2.00) instead of (2.00,0)?

That would mean apparently it was on the y axis. In which case get out your Pythagoras.

I use the pythagorean theory to find the distance from the -4 and 3 charhea to the point (0, 2.00) only right?

What is the formula for calculating electric field at a specific point?

The formula for calculating electric field at a specific point is E = kq/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is Coulomb's constant (9 x 10^9 N*m^2/C^2), q is the magnitude of the point charge, and r is the distance between the point charge and the point where the electric field is being calculated.

How do I determine the direction of the electric field at a specific point?

The direction of the electric field at a specific point is determined by the direction of the force that a positive test charge would experience if placed at that point. The direction of the electric field is always directed away from positive charges and towards negative charges.

How does the distance from the point charge affect the electric field at (2.00,0)?

The electric field at a specific point is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the point charge. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field decreases. In this case, at a distance of (2.00,0), the electric field will be less than at a distance of (1.00,0).

Can I use the formula for calculating electric field at (2.00,0) for multiple point charges?

Yes, the formula E = kq/r^2 can be used for multiple point charges by calculating the electric field for each individual charge and then vectorially adding them to find the net electric field at (2.00,0).

Are there any units for electric field at (2.00,0)?

Yes, the units for electric field are newtons per coulomb (N/C) or volts per meter (V/m).