Exploring Star Spectra: A Beginner's Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of astronomy and the need for stars spectrum in a project. The speaker mentions their lack of knowledge in this area and asks for advice on how to obtain stars spectrum without using the internet. The other person suggests simulating it with light bulbs and researching the different types of stars and their temperatures. They also suggest excluding stars with extremely high temperatures before simulating. The speaker clarifies that they are looking for the real star spectrum to determine composition, speed, and direction.
MonsieurWise
I'm doing a project about astronomy. I've never done one, I just jumped from quantum physics to here, so I don't think I know anything =.=. To start, I think I need some stars spectrum, but since stars are not as bright as the sun, I don't really know how to have them. Could someone give me some advice of how to have stars spectrum (without using internet), and what equipment do I need...? Thank you very much ^^

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The spectrum of a star is based on temperature. You can simulate it with light bulbs: do some research on the different types of stars and their temperatures, then compare them to different types of light bulbs and their temperatures.

russ_watters said:
The spectrum of a star is based on temperature. You can simulate it with light bulbs: do some research on the different types of stars and their temperatures, then compare them to different types of light bulbs and their temperatures.

There are stars that are millions of temperature. Exclude them before doing some simulation.

Thanks ^^. But I mean the real star spectrum where I can derive the composition of the stars, speed, directions... Is that possible...?

H2 What is a star's spectrum?

A star's spectrum is a graph or chart that shows the distribution of light emitted by a star across different wavelengths. It provides information about the chemical composition, temperature, and other properties of the star.

H2 How is a star's spectrum obtained?

A star's spectrum is obtained by using a spectrograph, which splits the star's light into different wavelengths and records the intensity of each wavelength. This data is then plotted on a graph to create the star's spectrum.

H2 What can we learn from a star's spectrum?

A star's spectrum can provide information about the chemical composition of the star, its temperature, and its motion. It can also help us determine the star's age, distance, and evolutionary stage.

H2 Why do stars have different spectra?

Stars have different spectra because they have different chemical compositions and temperatures. This affects the wavelengths of light that they emit, resulting in unique spectra for each star.

H2 Can we use a star's spectrum to identify its type?

Yes, we can use a star's spectrum to identify its type. Different types of stars have distinct spectra due to their varying chemical compositions and temperatures. This allows us to classify stars into categories such as red giants, white dwarfs, or main sequence stars.