Why do capacitors 'in series' each carry the same charge?

In summary, when capacitors are connected in series, the same charge Q is carried by each capacitor. This is because charge is conserved and the charge +Q on one plate of the first capacitor will attract a charge -Q onto the other plate, leaving a net charge of 0 on the connecting conductor. This results in a charge of Q on each plate of both capacitors.
jrdelacruz

Homework Statement

Exactly from my homework:
"It is assumed that for capacitors 'in series' that each capacitor carries the same charge Q. Give a physical argument for this. Why does this make sense?"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried searching for the answer, and none of it is making sense to me, perhaps someone can explain it in a simpler way? This is what I have come up with so far, please help me finish/correct it:

"Let us assume that there are 2 capacitors connected in series by a battery, capacitor 1 consists of plates A and B of size X and capacitor 2 consists of plates C and D of size Y. The plates are lined up in series alphabetically. Going to plate A is a positive charge Q. This means the charge –Q will be on D."

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

You have a conductor comprising the connection between the capacitors, and one plate from each capacitor. This conductor is insulated from anything else. What must the net (i.e. total) charge on this conductor be?

You're just restating what they asked you to explain. You haven't said why -Q has to be on plate D.

When you place charge +Q on plate A, where does the charge -Q on plate B come from?

What must the net (i.e. total) charge on this conductor be?
The net charge on the conductor should be 0. But how does that relate to the problem?
When you place charge +Q on plate A, where does the charge -Q on plate B come from?
The charge -Q on plate B comes from the charge +Q of plate A. All of the electrons from the conductor (plate B and C) will move to plate B because of the +Q of plate A right?

Now put it all together. You said the net charge on plates B and C is zero and that the charge of +Q on plate A will attract a charge -Q onto plate B. Charge is conserved, so how much charge must be on plate C?

So that means there must be a charge Q on plate C! So, now I know each capacitor has a charge of Q, is it safe to say that each plate has a charge of magnitude Q?

jrdelacruz said:
So that means there must be a charge Q on plate C! So, now I know each capacitor has a charge of Q, is it safe to say that each plate has a charge of magnitude Q?
Yes, correct.

1. Why do capacitors in series have the same charge?

Capacitors in series have the same charge because they are connected in a single loop, meaning the same current flows through each capacitor. This results in the same amount of charge being stored on each capacitor.

2. What happens to the charge on each capacitor when capacitors are connected in series?

When capacitors are connected in series, the charge on each capacitor remains the same. This is because the charge is stored on the plates of the capacitor, and since the same amount of current flows through each capacitor, the same amount of charge is stored on each plate.

3. Can capacitors in series have different charges?

No, capacitors in series cannot have different charges. This is because they are connected in a single loop and the same current flows through each capacitor, resulting in the same amount of charge being stored on each capacitor.

4. Why is it important for capacitors in series to have the same charge?

It is important for capacitors in series to have the same charge because it ensures that the voltage across each capacitor is divided equally. This allows for the proper functioning of the circuit and prevents any damage to the capacitors.

5. What happens if capacitors in series have different charges?

If capacitors in series have different charges, it can cause an imbalance in the voltage across each capacitor. This can lead to a malfunction in the circuit and may also cause damage to the capacitors. It is important to ensure that capacitors in series have the same charge to prevent any potential issues.