Women ski jumpers at a disadvantage because of their mass?

• Thread starter Ralph777
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Women
In summary, Bill Wolff claimed on the Rachel Maddow show that women must compete in Olympic ski jumping under different rules to make it fair due to their "less mass". However, the New York Times article states that lighter jumpers have an advantage and a weight loss of even one kilogram can result in added distance. The starting bar position is also adjusted based on distance, regardless of gender. Anatomical differences do not play a significant role in this sport, as top athletes are outliers in any distribution. The objection to women in the event may be due to the proportion of male athletes. A female currently holds the record for the longest jump off the Whistler ski jump, but it is unclear if she started higher up the hill,
Ralph777
On last night's Rachel Maddow show, Bill Wolff made the claim that if women are allowed to compete in Olympic ski jumping, the competition must be changed to make it "fair". He said that women are at a disadvantage because of "less mass". He even mentions F=ma. But isn't his assumption totally false?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is the 30-second video clip:

Last edited by a moderator:
From today's NYT: "Body weight became a critical factor. The lighter a jumper was, the farther he could jump. Depending on the size of the hill used in competition, jumpers said, a weight loss of each kilogram, or 2.2 pounds, could result in added distance of two to four meters or 6½ to 13 feet." http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/12/sports/olympics/12skijump.html

I didn't look at your links, and I'm not into sports by any means, but I would think that a woman's lower centre of mass would be an advantage in ski jumping. Jumpers all lean into the airflow to minimize drag, and a woman would maintain more of her mass toward where the skis are than a man who would be inclined to fall forward. Just a semi-educated guess...

edit: Sorry if I implied disinterest by not looking at your links. I've been up for over 30 hours and have had an awful lot of alcohol. I will look at your links when I feel able.

As the NY Times article mentioned, the lighter jumpers have an advantage, depending on the rules about ski size versus height, mass, and body mass index. The starting bar position is set based on how far down the hill the competitors are landing. If it's short of the target range, the bar is raised, if the competitors are landing too far, the bar is lowered. Normally this is figured out during practice. During a round, if the jumpers are landing too far down the hill, the bar is lowered, and the round is rerun.

If the women jumpers are using a higher starting bar position, it's simply to get their landings within the same target range as the men, regardless of the reason.

So just to confirm: the difference between men and women ski jumpers is solely based on skill level and not anatomical differences as Bill Wolff claimed?

"Less mass" is an ADVANTAGE is ski jumping. This is the reason why anorexia is relatively common among male ski jumpers.
So no, the difference is not only due to skill level. Women should -on average- be better than men.
But which gender that is best on average means absolutely nothing when it comes to top level athletes, simply because they are -by definition- outliers in any distribution.

The real difference in sports like these tend to have more to do with the proportion of make-female athletes, if 99% of all competitors are men it is fairly natural that most of the really good athletes are men as well.

It is quite obvious that Mr. Wolff does not know much about ski jumping...

Thanks! I found your information extremely informative.

That explains why women aren't allowed in the olympic ski jump event.

I was wondering why there was such a strong objection to women in tight outfits in a very TV-friendly action sport.

Last edited:
A female does hold the record — among both men and women — for the longest jump off of the Whistler ski jump.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1963484_1963490_1963447,00.html

Yes, but in that record attempt I thought that she started higher up the hill (which would obviously be an advantage). That's what they say in the video.

Women will not be at any disadvantage since they will only be competing with other women.

1. How does the mass of women ski jumpers affect their performance?

The mass of a ski jumper can have a significant impact on their performance. Generally, the heavier the jumper, the greater the force of gravity pulling them down the hill, which can lead to a longer jump. However, for women ski jumpers, their lighter mass can also allow them to have a more aerodynamic shape and potentially glide further in the air.

2. Are women ski jumpers at a disadvantage due to their smaller body size?

While women ski jumpers may have a smaller body size compared to men, this does not necessarily put them at a disadvantage. In fact, their smaller size can be an advantage in terms of flexibility and maneuverability on the hill. Additionally, women ski jumpers often train just as hard as their male counterparts, which can help them overcome any potential disadvantages.

3. Do women ski jumpers have to compete on smaller hills due to their mass?

No, women ski jumpers do not have to compete on smaller hills due to their mass. In fact, women compete on the same hills as men in international competitions. The only difference is the calculation of the K-point, which takes into account the average distance that women ski jumpers can reach compared to men.

4. Are there any safety concerns for women ski jumpers due to their mass?

Safety is always a top priority for ski jumpers, regardless of their gender. While women may have a lighter mass, the safety protocols and equipment used in ski jumping are designed to protect all athletes equally. In fact, women ski jumpers have shown to have a lower rate of injuries compared to their male counterparts.

5. Can women ski jumpers overcome any potential disadvantages due to their mass?

Yes, women ski jumpers can certainly overcome any potential disadvantages due to their mass. With proper training, technique, and determination, women ski jumpers have shown to be just as successful as male ski jumpers on the world stage. Additionally, with more recognition and support for the sport, women ski jumpers are continuously breaking barriers and proving that their mass does not define their abilities.