Srednicki's Lehmann-Kallen propagator derivation doubt

In summary, there is an error in the derivation of the Lehmann-Kaller form of the exact propagator in Srednicki's book. The mistake lies in rearranging the integrals in equation 13.12. Instead, rho should be kept inside the momentum integral. This can be justified by the invariance of rho under Lorentz transformations and leads to the correct result in equation 13.16.
msid

Homework Statement

Problem with the ordering of integrals in the derivation of the Lehmann-Kaller form of the exact propagator in Srednicki's book.

We start with the definition of the exact propagator in terms of the 2-point correlation function and introduce the complete set of momentum eigenstates and then define a certain spectral density in terms of a delta function. But the spectral density is also a function of 'k', so we cannot take the spectral density outside the integral over 'k'. Since that is not possible, the subsequent manipulations fail too.

Homework Equations

In Srednicki's book :
Equation 13.11 and 13.12

If that is incorrect, the use of 13.15 to get 13.16 is not possible.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't see how it is possibe to derive the equation without that interchange.

I'd appreciate any clarifications on this issue. Am I missing some trivial thing?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have Srednicki's text, could you post the relevant equations?

Luckily, the author has a free draft version of the textbook on his website. The relevant contents are the same.

http://www.physics.ucsb.edu/~mark/qft.html
Pg 107-108
Eqns 13.11, 13.12 and the use of 13.15 to get 13.16

Last edited:
I am new to the Physics forum, so I appologise if I doing something wrong by digging up an old thread. I too got stuck at this proof for a while. Now I think I have figured out the correction to the proof. I thought I will share it with others.

There seems to be a mistake in the proof. But the final result is correct.
Instead of rearranging the integrals as Srednicki has done in equation 13.12, retain ρ inside the momentum integral.
1) Now, convince yourself that ρ is independent of the spatial direction of k.
2) Do the time ordering similar to the one in 13.13 and 13.14 but now retaining ρ inside the k integral.
3) The author has used equation 13.15 which is proved in chapter 8. However this is not applicable anymore because ρ is present. However one can obtain an identity similar to the identity 13.15. In this, each integral has an additional function F(|\vec{k}|) inside. Proof is on the lines of the proof of 13.15. Try it.
4) Inserting the new identity you arrive at 13.16

Hope this helps. BTW let me know if there is flaw in my new proof. :)

Ignore my previous post. Equation 13.12 is correct.

Heres the explanation:
rho(s) is invariant under Lorentz transformation because, we have summed over all the possibilities for n.
Since rho is invariant under LorentzTransformations, it can depend only on [tex]k^2=k_\mu \eta^{\mu\nu} k_\nu=M^2[/tex]. But then k^2 is effectively equal to s due to the dirac delta.

Since rho is independent of k, it can be taken out of the integral!

Likes gaboroszkar

1. What is Srednicki's Lehmann-Kallen propagator derivation?

The Srednicki's Lehmann-Kallen propagator derivation is a mathematical method used to calculate the propagator, which is a function that describes the probability amplitude of a particle to move from one point to another in quantum field theory.

2. What is the purpose of the Lehmann-Kallen propagator derivation?

The purpose of the Lehmann-Kallen propagator derivation is to provide a rigorous mathematical framework for calculating the propagator in quantum field theory, which is essential for understanding the behavior of particles and their interactions.

3. What is the main doubt or issue with Srednicki's Lehmann-Kallen propagator derivation?

One of the main doubts or issues with Srednicki's Lehmann-Kallen propagator derivation is that it is a highly technical and complex mathematical approach, which can be difficult to understand and apply, even for experienced scientists and researchers.

4. How does Srednicki's Lehmann-Kallen propagator derivation differ from other methods of calculating the propagator?

Srednicki's Lehmann-Kallen propagator derivation differs from other methods of calculating the propagator in its use of advanced mathematical techniques, such as contour integration and complex analysis, to solve the equations and derive the final results.

5. Is Srednicki's Lehmann-Kallen propagator derivation widely accepted in the scientific community?

Yes, Srednicki's Lehmann-Kallen propagator derivation is widely accepted in the scientific community as a valid and reliable method for calculating the propagator in quantum field theory. However, there may be ongoing debates and discussions about its applications and limitations in specific contexts or scenarios.