How Does the Rodrigues' Formula Assist in Integrating Legendre Polynomials?

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of a function with the Legendre polynomial formula, which can be obtained by repeating the use of the Rodrigues formula and using integration by parts. The steps are outlined, but the individual is unsure of how to proceed and is seeking guidance.
yungman
The book gave the integration of a function with the legendre polynomial formula:

[tex]\int_{-1}^1 f(x)P_n(x)dx = \frac{1}{2^n n!}\int_{-1}^{1} f^n(x)(x^2-1)^n dx[/tex]

It just said the formula can be obtained by repeat using Rodrigues formula and integral by parts but did not go into detail. I want to work out the steps and I got stuck. This is what I have:

Using Rodrigues:

[tex]\int_{-1}^{1} f(x)P_n(x)dx = \frac{1}{2^n n!}\int_{-1}^{1} f(x)\frac{d^n}{dx^n}[(x^2-1)^n] dx[/tex]

After the first integral by parts:

[tex]\frac{1}{2^n n!}\int_{-1}^{1} f(x)\frac{d^n}{dx^n}[(x^2-1)^n] dx = \frac{1}{2^n n!}[f(x)\frac{d^{n-1}}{dx^{n-1}}[(x^2-1)^n]]_{-1}^1 \;-\; \frac{1}{2^n n!}\int_{-1}^{1} f^{(1)}(x)\frac{d^{n-1}}{dx^{n-1}}[(x^2-1)^n] dx[/tex]

In order for this to continue to the next integration by parts, the following has to be true:

[tex]\frac{1}{2^n n!}[f(x)\frac{d^{n-1}}{dx^{n-1}}[(x^2-1)^n]]_{-1}^1 = 0[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow\; [\frac{d^{n-1}}{dx^{n-1}}[(x^2-1)^n]]_{-1}^1 = 0[/tex]

I don't know whether my assumption is correct. If so, I still don't know how it is equal to zero. can anyone give me some guidance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't checked you work, but assuming it is correct, this step:

[tex]
\Rightarrow\; [\frac{d^{n-1}}{dx^{n-1}}[(x^2-1)^n]]_{-1}^1 = 0
[/tex]

can be written as

[tex]
[\frac{d^{n-1}}{dx^{n-1}}[(x+1)^n(x-1)^n]]_{-1}^1 = 0
[/tex]

Using the product rule differentiating n-1 times I think you will find at least a factor of (x-1)(x+1) in every term of the expansion. That would give you the answer 0.

LCKurtz said:
I haven't checked you work, but assuming it is correct, this step:

[tex]
\Rightarrow\; [\frac{d^{n-1}}{dx^{n-1}}[(x^2-1)^n]]_{-1}^1 = 0
[/tex]

can be written as

[tex]
[\frac{d^{n-1}}{dx^{n-1}}[(x+1)^n(x-1)^n]]_{-1}^1 = 0
[/tex]

Using the product rule differentiating n-1 times I think you will find at least a factor of (x-1)(x+1) in every term of the expansion. That would give you the answer 0.

Thanks for you help.

1. What is the Rodrigues formula?

The Rodrigues formula is a mathematical formula used to solve integrals involving trigonometric functions. It is also known as the angle addition formula and is used to convert a product of trigonometric functions into a sum or difference of trigonometric functions.

2. How is the Rodrigues formula derived?

The Rodrigues formula can be derived using the Taylor series expansion of the sine and cosine functions. By substituting the Taylor series expansions into the product of trigonometric functions and simplifying, the formula can be obtained.

3. What is the purpose of the Rodrigues formula?

The Rodrigues formula is used to simplify integrals involving trigonometric functions, making it easier to solve them. It is also used in various areas of mathematics and physics, such as in solving differential equations and in deriving rotation matrices.

4. Can the Rodrigues formula be applied to any integral involving trigonometric functions?

Yes, the Rodrigues formula can be applied to any integral involving trigonometric functions, as long as the limits of integration are within the range of the trigonometric functions used in the formula. It is a general formula and can be used for various types of integrals.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Rodrigues formula?

The main limitation of the Rodrigues formula is that it can only be used for integrals involving trigonometric functions. It cannot be applied to other types of integrals, such as exponential or logarithmic functions. Additionally, it may not always provide the most simplified solution to an integral and other methods may be more efficient.