Quantum computingnecessary classical devices knowledge?

In summary, the conversation is about the person's interest in studying quantum computing and their lack of knowledge about classical computing devices. They ask for book recommendations to gain a basic understanding of quantum computing and specifically mention wanting to learn about Shor's algorithm. The suggestions given include the book "Quantum Computation and Quantum Information" by Nielsen and Chuang, which is comprehensive and includes exercises and a bibliography.
bifolco84
Hi, i have just started studying quantum computing. i found it very interesting and i was wondering to dedicate my thesis on it...BUT...i suffer a lack of knowledge about classical computing devices (i'm not talking about the classic works on logic by Turing and Church and so forth)...so..can you suggest what should i know and which are the books that would help me to reach a global perspective on this subject. In the same time i'd like to avoid every superfluous study on classical computers..just what i need to step onto the quantum world. Thank you for aswering.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am doing a study project on Quantum Computing, please suggest me some of the books which can give me the very basic knowledge of the area and about the Shor's algorithm.
So that i can understand the subject of Quantum Computing.
Thanking you

Nielsen&Chuang's book "Quantum Computation and Quantum Information" is a good place to start.

As f95toli said Nielsen and Chuang is the best place to start. It is very comprehensive and assumes no previous knowledge of either quantum mechanics or computing theory.
Another plus is that it has exercises and a nice bibliography.

Thank you for the suggestions.

1. What is quantum computing?

Quantum computing is a type of computing that uses quantum-mechanical phenomena, such as superposition and entanglement, to perform operations on data. It has the potential to solve certain problems much faster than classical computers.

2. How does quantum computing differ from classical computing?

In classical computing, information is stored and processed using bits, which can have a value of either 0 or 1. In quantum computing, information is stored and processed using quantum bits, or qubits, which can be in a state of 0, 1, or both simultaneously. This allows for parallel processing and can lead to faster computation for certain problems.

3. What are the advantages of quantum computing?

Quantum computing has the potential to solve certain problems that are currently intractable for classical computers. It can also lead to faster computation for certain tasks, such as optimization or simulations. Additionally, quantum computing is expected to play a crucial role in future technologies, such as quantum cryptography and quantum machine learning.

4. What are the challenges facing quantum computing?

One of the main challenges in quantum computing is maintaining the delicate quantum states of qubits, as they are easily disrupted by external noise and interference. Another challenge is scaling up quantum systems to handle larger and more complex problems. Additionally, there is a lack of efficient error correction methods for quantum computing, which is necessary for reliable computation.

5. What are some examples of current quantum computing systems?

Some examples of current quantum computing systems include IBM's Q System One, Google's Sycamore processor, and Rigetti Computing's Aspen-8 quantum chip. There are also cloud-based quantum computing platforms, such as IBM Quantum Experience and Microsoft Quantum Development Kit, that allow users to run quantum algorithms and experiments remotely.