Revisiting Intro Physics: Retention and Preparation for Higher Levels

• Thread starter confusedinMA
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Material
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's concerns about retaining information from an Intro Physics class they took a few years ago. They are currently reviewing the material and struggling with problem-solving. The other person advises that understanding the material deeply is key to retaining it, and that our brains will naturally forget information that is not useful.
confusedinMA
I got A's in Intro Physics but after its now been a few years and I am reviewing this stuff so I will be better prepared. I am reading through an Intro Physics book but find that I have forgotten a lot of this stuff. I seemed to have retained a lot of the general ideas but am not doing incredible well solving problems. Is this normal? How well are you expected to retain this stuff, I'm scared that I'll be at a disadvantage in my higher level physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is one simple rule - what has been understood well enough, is never forgotten. Try to understand the topic deeply - look for patterns, connect information, get a feeling of the whole picture. Our brain is smart - it erases information that's not useful, and that's the stuff that has been memorized.

1. What is the purpose of the study on "Revisiting Intro Physics: Retention and Preparation for Higher Levels"?

The purpose of this study is to examine the retention rates of students in introductory physics courses and their preparedness for higher level physics courses. It aims to identify factors that contribute to student success in physics and to provide recommendations for improving retention and preparation for higher levels.

2. What research methods were used in the study?

The study used a combination of qualitative and quantitative research methods. This included surveys, interviews, and analysis of student performance data. The data was collected from both students and instructors to get a comprehensive understanding of the factors affecting retention and preparation for higher level physics courses.

3. What were the key findings of the study?

The study found that many students struggle with retention of introductory physics concepts and are not adequately prepared for higher level courses. It also identified a lack of support and resources for students, as well as a disconnect between introductory and higher level courses, as key factors contributing to these issues.

4. How can these findings be applied in the classroom?

The study suggests that instructors should focus on improving student retention by implementing more interactive and hands-on learning activities, providing additional resources and support for struggling students, and creating a more cohesive curriculum between introductory and higher level courses. In addition, institutions can also offer workshops and support programs to help students better prepare for higher level physics courses.

5. What are the implications of this study for future research?

The study highlights the need for further research on effective teaching strategies and support systems for students in introductory physics courses. It also suggests the importance of bridging the gap between introductory and higher level courses to improve retention and student success. Future research should also explore the impact of other factors, such as student motivation and prior knowledge, on retention and preparation for higher level physics courses.