Exploring Industrial Engineering as a Career Change

In summary, Industrial Engineering (IE) is a field that involves using tools and skills from math, computer science, and statistics to analyze and improve processes and systems. While IE graduates are highly employable, there are few jobs that specifically require an IE degree. However, their analytical thinking and mathematical modeling skills are highly valued in fields such as supply chain management, quality assurance, quantitative analysis, and financial engineering. Despite the potential for a rewarding career, switching to IE may involve a high cost and it is important to gather information and make a wise decision.
I'm considering changing careers and studying industrial engineering but I would like to learn a bit more about the field. Basically, I've always had some idea that I would very much enjoy engineering. I love learning how things work and being able to improve them. I read the "Should I become an Engineer" thread and felt it described me perfectly. If only I'd seen the post my freshman year of college! However, I already have undergraduate degrees in economics and psychology. I enjoyed both of those fields but am no longer sure my current career path would be as satisfying as engineering (If I don't get an IE degree I'll end up getting an MBA and probably work in corporate finance).

I have taken enough math courses to meet the admissions requirements for an MSE in Industrial Engineering. I also have a good friend who graduated with a masters in IE and I thought their classes sounded really interesting. I remember looking at her books and thinking there was a lot of similarity between what she was studying and what you might see in a rigorous applied economics course (in terms of the mathematical and statistical techniques, as well as some overlap regarding efficiency, etc.). Based on this information, along with the fact that I would very much like a career that is both intellectual and somewhat "hands on", I think IE would be a great fit.

However, this would be a major change of directions and although IE seems more appealing now than my other options the cost of switching career tracks is high (what if I don't like it for some reason!?). Despite the exposure to IE that I've mentioned above, I feel like it is more opaque than other types of engineering. I'm looking for information that anyone is willing to provide that might help ensure that I make this decision wisely, perhaps some information about a day in the life of an IE, or anything else?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
(IE undergrad here)

Are you looking at a particular university's MS? Besides math classes, I think any decent MS program in IE will require applicants to have a background in computation and programming.

Correct me if I am wrong, IE is a collection of tools and skills from math, CS and statistics; used to analyze processes and systems, identify problems and casual relationships, and finally propose alternatives and solutions. While IE graduates are pretty employable, there are few jobs out there that will require the full skill sets of an IE graduate and thus deserve the title "Industrial Engineer".

An IE grad will probably be more prized for his/her analytical thinking and abilitiy to apply appropriate mathematical models to practical problems. Supply Chain management, quality assurance, quantitative analyst, and financial engineering are some of the fields where I think an IE graduate fit in real well, although none of them necessarily require IE graduates.

1. What is industrial engineering?

Industrial engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on improving efficiency and productivity in various industries. It involves analyzing systems, processes, and workflows to identify areas for improvement and implementing solutions to optimize performance.

2. What skills are needed to be successful in industrial engineering?

Industrial engineering requires a combination of technical, analytical, and problem-solving skills. This includes proficiency in data analysis, computer modeling, and project management, as well as strong communication and leadership skills.

3. What industries can industrial engineers work in?

Industrial engineers can work in a variety of industries, such as manufacturing, healthcare, transportation, and logistics. They are also in demand in service industries, such as banking, consulting, and retail, where process improvement and efficiency are crucial for success.

4. What career opportunities are available for industrial engineers?

Industrial engineers can pursue various career paths, including operations management, supply chain management, process improvement, and quality control. They may also work in research and development, consulting, or project management roles.

5. How can I transition into industrial engineering as a career change?

If you are interested in transitioning into industrial engineering, it is essential to gain relevant education and experience. This can include pursuing a degree in industrial engineering or a related field, completing internships or co-op programs, and developing skills in data analysis and project management. Networking with professionals in the field and attending industry events can also help you make the transition successfully.