M.S in Applied Mathematics vs M.S in Statistics?

In summary, the individual is a Chemistry major with a minor in Math who plans to work for a few years before attending graduate school for a career change. They have lost interest in Chemistry and are now leaning towards Applied Math due to its broader use in real life. They are not interested in teaching or pursuing a Ph.D and are concerned about the marketability and pay of Applied Math compared to Statistics. They have found a program at SUNY Stony Brook that combines Applied Math with a concentration in Statistics and are considering it as a possible option.
yg7s7
I'm a Chemistry major with Math minor. After graduation I want to work for a few years and go to grad school for a career change. Throughout my undergrad years I somehow lost interest in Chemistry and now like Math a lot better (courses such as Differential Eq, PDE). First thing that came to my mind was getting one of the two, but now I'm leaning toward Applied Math because I'm just not familiar with Stats and it feels too specified. Also Applied Math seems to have broader use in real life, though I'm not sure.

So how do they compare in terms of marketability and pay?

What worries me is that when I googled "M.S in Applied Mathematics" nothing much showed up, though NJIT's program seems nice. It accepts Science majors and have low GPA threshold (lol).
http://math.njit.edu/docs/ms-appmathbrochure.pdf

Other things:
I don't want to go into teaching.
I'm not interested in pure math.
Also not interested in getting a Ph.D

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Statisticians, especially statisticians with an interest in industrial processes, can find employment in a broad swath of industry. This is a narrow skill, but one that is used everywhere. Applied math can be broader, but it is likely you find it more difficult to seek employment because very few companies have need of applied mathematicians. They may need your skills, but they will call it something else.

Here is the website of an applied mathematician. http://www.johndcook.com/ He works for M. D. Anderson cancer center in Houston, TX. His specialty is software to help design clinical trials for cancer drugs. Thus he is in fact doing statistics, and programming, but he sees it as applied mathematics.

^Ahh thanks for the reply. Right now I'm looking at SUNY Stony Brook's M.S Applied Math with concentration in Statistics. Not sure if it's same as getting M.S in Statistics though.

http://www.ams.sunysb.edu/STAT/STATHome.shtml
This seems like a reasonably applied program. You could probably take it in a number of directions with your electives. I would consider this degree program pretty similar to a number of MS Statistics programs I have seen. A good practice is to check and see what companies recruit from this program, and see whether you would want to work for one of them.

AMS 507 Introduction to Probability
AMS 510 Analytical Methods for Applied Mathematics and Statistics
AMS 570 Mathematical Statistics I
AMS 572 Data Analysis
AMS 573 Design and Analysis of Categorical Data
AMS 578 Regression
AMS 582 Design of Experiments
+ 3 electives

As a scientist with a background in both applied mathematics and statistics, I can offer some insights into these two fields and their potential career paths.

First of all, both an M.S in Applied Mathematics and an M.S in Statistics can lead to a variety of job opportunities in industries such as finance, data analysis, and technology. Both fields involve using mathematical and statistical techniques to solve real-world problems, so they can be applicable in a wide range of industries.

In terms of marketability and pay, it really depends on the specific job and industry you are interested in. Generally, statistics tends to have a slightly higher average salary compared to applied mathematics, but both fields offer competitive salaries and job opportunities. It's important to research the job market and demand for these skills in the industries you are interested in to make the best decision for your career goals.

In terms of your concerns about the specificity of statistics compared to applied mathematics, it's important to note that both fields have their own specific applications and techniques. While applied mathematics may have a broader scope, statistics can also be applied to a variety of real-world problems and industries. It's worth exploring different statistics courses and career paths to see if it aligns with your interests and goals.

As for the lack of information when you searched for "M.S in Applied Mathematics," it could be because the specific program you are interested in is relatively new or not as well-known. It's always a good idea to do more research and reach out to the program directly to learn more about their curriculum, job placement, and alumni success stories.

Finally, it's important to consider your own interests and strengths when choosing between these two fields. If you prefer more theoretical and abstract problem-solving, applied mathematics may be a better fit for you. If you enjoy working with data and applying mathematical techniques to solve practical problems, statistics may be a better fit. Ultimately, both fields offer exciting and rewarding career paths, and it's important to choose the one that aligns with your interests and goals. Best of luck in your decision!

1. What is the difference between M.S in Applied Mathematics and M.S in Statistics?

The main difference between these two degree programs is their focus. M.S in Applied Mathematics emphasizes the application of mathematical theories and methods to solve real-world problems, while M.S in Statistics focuses on collecting, analyzing, and interpreting data to make predictions and decisions.

2. Which degree is better for a career in data science?

Both degrees can lead to a career in data science, but M.S in Statistics may be more beneficial as it provides a deeper understanding of data analysis and statistical modeling. However, M.S in Applied Mathematics can also be useful, especially if it includes courses in data analysis and computer programming.

3. Are there any overlapping courses in these two degree programs?

Yes, there are some overlapping courses such as probability theory, linear algebra, and calculus. However, the focus and application of these courses may differ between the two programs.

4. Which degree program is more mathematically rigorous?

M.S in Applied Mathematics is generally considered more mathematically rigorous as it involves advanced courses in mathematical analysis, differential equations, and numerical methods. M.S in Statistics may also have a strong mathematical component, but it is more focused on statistical theory and methods.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates of these programs?

Both degrees can lead to a variety of career opportunities in fields such as data science, finance, engineering, and research. Graduates of M.S in Applied Mathematics may work as mathematical modelers, operations analysts, or quantitative analysts, while graduates of M.S in Statistics may work as statisticians, data analysts, or market researchers.