What do I see if I walk forward through a superdense transparent medium?

In summary, the experimenter is moving at a much slower speed than the photons travelling in the medium, so they would see the light from the flashlight as it was seen earlier.
danR
I am walking at 2 metre/sec and light, from a flashlight behind me, is moving at 1 m/s.

So my eyeballs are catching up with the photons ahead of me. Do I see the flashlight? Do backward photons look strange? Are they red-shifted, blue-shifted? Assume my optics have been replaced with hyperdense refracting material.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're in a medium where light effectively travels at 1m/s, there's no chance in hell you're going to be able to move at 2m/s in it.

Never mind photons, this is a classical E&M problem, and a nonrelativistic one at that since you're only moving at 2 m/s. No paradoxes involved. There's a changing E&M field in front of you and you're moving through it faster than the fields are advancing. You'll see this "light" blue-shifted, since you're encountering crests at a faster rate. You'll also see the flashlight behind you, but as you move away from it you'll see it with light that left it farther and farther in the past.

Bill_K said:
Never mind photons, this is a classical E&M problem, and a nonrelativistic one at that since you're only moving at 2 m/s. No paradoxes involved. There's a changing E&M field in front of you and you're moving through it faster than the fields are advancing. You'll see this "light" blue-shifted, since you're encountering crests at a faster rate. You'll also see the flashlight behind you, but as you move away from it you'll see it with light that left it farther and farther in the past.

Yes it's a classical E&M problem (Heaviside and Cherenkov), but how can you receive the light from behind if you are going faster than the light? Or do you mean that you will receive the light from in front of you?

Pengwuino said:
If you're in a medium where light effectively travels at 1m/s, there's no chance in hell you're going to be able to move at 2m/s in it.

It's a gedankenexperiment. I can do whatever the hell I want :biggrin:. Within theoretical reason.o:)

Last edited:
harrylin said:
Yes it's a classical E&M problem (Heaviside and Cherenkov), but how can you receive the light from behind if you are going faster than the light? Or do you mean that you will receive the light from in front of you?

I just mean the flashlight's been on for a while.

Bill_K said:

I should think I'd be seeing it red-shifted. I'm catching up with the wave-crests at a relative speed of half, 1 m/s, what would pertain simply facing the light--2 m/s.

I'm using photons because they are trendy. I don't believe in relativity paradoxes, just used to posting in the relativity section. I'm just curious about what I'd see.

Now that I think of it, the experiment could be realized using acoustic imaging analogues.

Last edited:

1. What is a superdense transparent medium?

A superdense transparent medium is a material that has a high density and allows light to pass through it without being scattered or absorbed. It can be created by compressing air or other gases to extreme pressures, or by using specialized materials such as diamond or sapphire.

2. How does light behave when passing through a superdense transparent medium?

When light passes through a superdense transparent medium, it experiences a high degree of refraction due to the extreme density of the material. This causes the light to bend and change direction, resulting in distorted images and colors.

3. Will I be able to see through a superdense transparent medium?

Yes, you will be able to see through a superdense transparent medium, but the images you see may be distorted due to the high refraction of light. The degree of distortion will depend on the density and thickness of the medium.

4. Is it possible to walk through a superdense transparent medium?

No, it is not possible to physically walk through a superdense transparent medium as it is a solid material. However, you may be able to pass through it using specialized equipment, such as a tunnel or a pressurized suit.

5. Are there any real-world applications for superdense transparent mediums?

Yes, there are several real-world applications for superdense transparent mediums. These include use in high-pressure experiments, creating protective coatings for electronic devices, and developing advanced materials for bulletproof glass and armor.