Solving a Logarithmic Integral: Is it Right?

In summary, the conversation involved someone asking for help with their work, specifically with determining if the function \sum_{n=2}^{\infty}\frac{1}{nln(n)} converges or diverges. They initially attempted to solve it using integration by parts, but realized they made a mistake and should have used u=ln(n) instead of u=\frac{1}{ln(n)}. After making the correction, they were able to easily determine that the function converges.
Alem2000
I don't know what's wrong with me...I have been studing for 6 hrs straight...and i noticed I have been making stupid mistakes...so can somone tell me what's up with my work...this is what I did. [tex]\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}\frac{1}{nln(n)}[/tex] must show if it converges or diverges soooo this is what i did

[tex]\int_{2}^{\infty}\frac{1}{nln(n)}dn[/tex] integration by parts and

[tex] u=\frac{1}{ln(n)}[/tex] ,
[tex]du=\frac{1}{n(ln(n))^2}[/tex] ,
[tex]v=ln(n)[/tex] ,
[tex]dv=\frac{1}{x}[/tex]

[tex]\int_{2}^{\infty}\frac{1}{nln(n)}dn[/tex]=[tex]\frac{ln(n)}{ln(n)}-\int_{2}^{+\infty}\frac{ln(n)}{nln(n)^2}dn[/tex]

my logarithms cancel out and become [tex]1[/tex] and my integral of logorithms the top cancels and becomes one and i add it to the other side divide by two and i get [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex] now which say it converges did I do that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
darn it i realized what I have been doing wrong!

bad integration i should have done [tex]u=ln(n)[/tex]
[tex]du=\frac{1}{n}dx[/tex]
plug and chug back into [tex]\int_{2}^{\infty}\frac{1}{nln(n)}dn[/tex] and I got[tex] \int_{2}^{\infty}\frac{1}{nu}ndu[/tex] which becomes [tex]\int_{2}^{\infty}\frac{1}{u}du[/tex] and eazy sailing after that ay?

Last edited:

First of all, it's completely normal to make mistakes while studying for long periods of time. It's important to take breaks and give your brain a rest. Now, let's take a look at your work.

Your integration by parts is correct, but your final answer is not. When you cancel out the logarithms, you should have \frac{1}{n} left in the integral, not 1. Also, when you add \frac{1}{2} to the other side, you are essentially saying that the integral converges to \frac{1}{2}, which is not correct.

To determine if the integral converges or diverges, you need to evaluate the integral using a limit. As n approaches infinity, the integral will approach a certain value, and depending on that value, you can determine if the integral converges or diverges. In this case, the integral will approach 0, which means it converges.

So, in conclusion, your integration by parts is correct, but your final answer and reasoning are not. Remember to always use a limit when determining convergence or divergence of an integral. Keep practicing and don't be discouraged by mistakes!

1. What is a logarithmic integral?

A logarithmic integral is a type of mathematical function that is defined as the integral of the logarithm of a specific function. It is often used in calculus and is used to solve problems involving the natural logarithm.

2. How do you solve a logarithmic integral?

To solve a logarithmic integral, you can use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. It is important to first identify which integration technique is most suitable for the specific logarithmic integral that you are trying to solve.

3. Is there a specific method for solving all logarithmic integrals?

No, there is no one specific method for solving all logarithmic integrals. The method used will depend on the specific integral and its properties. It is important to have a strong understanding of integration techniques in order to successfully solve logarithmic integrals.

4. How do you know if your solution to a logarithmic integral is correct?

You can check the solution to a logarithmic integral by taking the derivative of the solution and seeing if it matches the original function. You can also use online tools or computer software to verify your solution.

5. Can logarithmic integrals be applied in real-world situations?

Yes, logarithmic integrals have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model growth rates, population growth, and signal processing, among other things.