Poissons Equation Problem

• Thread starter hc91
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed obtaining a Fourier series of a function with the given boundary conditions and using it to find the solution for Poisson's equation inside a unit disk. Some clarifications were made regarding the coefficients and boundary conditions, and hints were given for finding the final solution.
hc91

Homework Statement

First part of the question is to obtain a Fourier series of the function f(theta)= 1 0=<theta<pi
-1 pi=<theta<2pi
Then to find the solution of Poissons equation inside the unit disk r=<1
∇^2(P) = (1/r)d/dr(r(dP/dr))+ (1/r^2)d^2P/d^theta = f(theta) with Boundary Condition that when r=1, P=0. Given HINT that general solution of (r^2)R'' + rR' -(n^2)R = r^2 is R= a(r^n) + b(r^-n) - (r^2)/(n^2-4)

Then required to show that the integral of f(theta)*P dA =
(-4/pi) sum over n odd (1/(n^2)((n+2)^2))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have got the Fourier series correct as f = sum over n odd ((4/n*pi)sin(n*theta))

I have then tried separation of variables letting P=R(r)THETA(theta), and got
R''(THETA) + (1/r)R'(THETA) + (1/r^2)R(THETA)'' = f(theta)

and then said as r=1 when P=0, R(r)=0 at r=1, so THETA''=f(theta) and so by integrating, THETA = (-1/n^2)THETA'', which can be subbed back into get the form for the HINT. This means I can construct P =R(r)THETA(theta) but then when I go ahead and integrate this, I a) cannot get rid of the a_n, b_n that occur from summing the HINT, as only one BC
b) cannot get t the right form for the final integral, but I do have a lot of powers of n, n-2, n+2 so feel I am on the right sort of lines.

Sorry this is so messy, any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your post. It seems like you are on the right track with your approach to finding the solution for Poisson's equation. However, there are a few things that need to be clarified.

Firstly, for the Fourier series, the coefficients should be (2/n*pi)sin(n*theta) instead of (4/n*pi)sin(n*theta). Also, keep in mind that the Fourier series will have different forms for the even and odd terms, so you will need to split the sum into two parts accordingly.

For the solution of Poisson's equation, you are correct in using separation of variables. However, the boundary condition at r=1 should be P=1 instead of P=0. This is because the function f(theta) has a value of 1 for 0<=theta<=pi and a value of -1 for pi<=theta<=2pi. So, when r=1, the value of P should be 1. This will give you the correct form for the HINT and the final solution for P.

As for the final integral, you will need to use the Fourier series that you obtained for f(theta) and substitute it into the integral. Then, you can use the orthogonality property of sine functions to simplify the integral and eventually arrive at the desired form.

I hope this helps clarify some of the steps for your solution. Good luck with your work!

1. What is the Poisson's Equation Problem?

The Poisson's equation problem is a partial differential equation that describes the relationship between a function and its sources or sinks. It is used to solve for the potential or electric field in a region with known sources or sinks. In simple terms, it helps to find the solution to a problem involving the distribution of a quantity in a given space.

2. Why is the Poisson's Equation Problem important?

The Poisson's equation problem is important in many fields of science and engineering, such as electromagnetism, fluid mechanics, and heat transfer. It helps to understand the behavior of a physical system and make predictions based on the known sources or sinks. It is also used in numerical methods and simulations to solve complex problems that cannot be solved analytically.

3. What are the key assumptions in the Poisson's Equation Problem?

The key assumptions in the Poisson's equation problem include the linearity of the equation, the existence of a unique solution, and the boundary conditions. Linearity means that the equation can be written as a sum of simpler equations. The unique solution assumption ensures that the solution is unique and can be found using a well-defined method. The boundary conditions specify the values of the solution at the boundaries of the region.

4. How is the Poisson's Equation Problem solved?

The Poisson's equation problem can be solved using various methods, including analytical, numerical, and computational methods. Analytical methods involve solving the equation using mathematical techniques to obtain an exact solution. Numerical methods involve approximating the solution using discrete values and algorithms. Computational methods use computers to solve the equation numerically and obtain a solution with high accuracy.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Poisson's Equation Problem?

The Poisson's equation problem has numerous real-world applications, such as in the design of electronic circuits, analyzing fluid flow in pipes and channels, and modeling heat transfer in materials. It is also used in medical imaging, weather forecasting, and financial modeling. Essentially, any problem that involves the distribution of a quantity in a given space can be solved using the Poisson's equation problem.