Wireless Signal Fluctuation. Weird Results.

In summary: I'm not sure if there are other sources of 2.4GHz in the area, but I would check to see if there are any other wireless devices that are using the same frequency. Also, if there are any microwaves in the area, that could create interference. And finally, if you have your cell phone on, that could also cause interference.
dacruick
Hi there,

I'm taking some measurements of a wireless signal using InSSIDer 2.0. Sometimes the signal fluctuation is upwards of 20 dBs, and sometimes the fluctuation is almost nothing.

It is a very short range signal. There is minimal fluctuation in the signal shown when I'm 10 metres away from the source. But when I move to 50 metres, the signal fluctuation is huge.

I know almost nothing about this type of thing. All I know is that my data is fishy. very fishy.

So my problem boils down to this: There could be an issue with the transmitter, the receiver, the software, or no issue at all. I'm not looking for a cut and dry answer, I just would like a direction to start my troubleshooting in.

Thank you kindly:)

dacruick

Computer science news on Phys.org
dacruick said:
Hi there,

I'm taking some measurements of a wireless signal using InSSIDer 2.0. Sometimes the signal fluctuation is upwards of 20 dBs, and sometimes the fluctuation is almost nothing.

It is a very short range signal. There is minimal fluctuation in the signal shown when I'm 10 metres away from the source. But when I move to 50 metres, the signal fluctuation is huge.

I know almost nothing about this type of thing. All I know is that my data is fishy. very fishy.

So my problem boils down to this: There could be an issue with the transmitter, the receiver, the software, or no issue at all. I'm not looking for a cut and dry answer, I just would like a direction to start my troubleshooting in.

Thank you kindly:)

dacruick

Sounds like a multipath interference issue. Is this a 2.4GHz application?

Multipath interference is when the reflections off of other objects come to the point where your receiver is, and cause constructive/destructive interference. And since the human body interacts with 2.4GHz signals, you can get varying multipath interference as people walk around the area. And definitely if you have moving vehicles involved, there is a lot of multipath fluctation in RX signal strength.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multipath_interference

Yes it is 2.4 GHz. The area in which I'm testing is fairly void of movement. There are almost no cars or people. I'm also testing with a line of sight between the transmitter and receiver.

This is why its so strange to me. I tried to minimize variables but my data doesn't reflect that at all :confused:

dacruick said:
Yes it is 2.4 GHz. The area in which I'm testing is fairly void of movement. There are almost no cars or people. I'm also testing with a line of sight between the transmitter and receiver.

This is why its so strange to me. I tried to minimize variables but my data doesn't reflect that at all :confused:

Are there other sources of 2.4GHz in the area? Any microwave ovens? Any WiFi? Do you have your cell phone on?

1. Why does the wireless signal fluctuate and give weird results?

The wireless signal can fluctuate due to a variety of reasons, such as interference from other electronic devices, physical barriers between the device and the router, or distance from the router. These fluctuations can result in weird or inconsistent results.

2. How can I fix wireless signal fluctuation and weird results?

There are several steps you can take to improve wireless signal stability and reduce weird results. These include moving the device closer to the router, minimizing interference from other devices, and updating the router's firmware. You can also try switching to a different wireless channel or using a signal booster.

3. Is it normal for wireless signals to fluctuate?

Yes, it is normal for wireless signals to fluctuate to some extent. However, if the fluctuations are frequent and severe, it may indicate a problem with your network or devices. It is important to troubleshoot and address any issues to ensure a stable and consistent wireless connection.

4. Can weather or environmental factors affect wireless signal fluctuation?

Yes, weather or environmental factors such as heavy rain, snow, or thick walls can affect wireless signal strength and cause fluctuations. This is because these elements can interfere with the radio waves used to transmit wireless signals. Keeping your router and devices away from these obstacles can help improve signal stability.

5. Are there any tools or techniques to measure and monitor wireless signal fluctuation?

There are various tools and techniques available to measure and monitor wireless signal fluctuations. These include network analyzers, signal strength meters, and software applications that can track and analyze signal strength over time. It is important to regularly monitor signal strength to identify any potential issues and take the necessary steps to improve it.