Solving Physics Problems: 25N Force, 2.5 kg Block, and 35deg Incline

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving a 25 N force pulling a 2.5 kg block 5 m up an inclined plane at a constant speed. The questions are asking for the amount of work done by the force, friction, and gravitational force. One person suggests using the formula W = F * distance, while another mentions accounting for the mass and gravity using a net force diagram. The conversation ends with someone asking for clarification on which part of the problem is being referred to.
scan
anyone physics experts know how to do this questions?

A force of 25 N parallel to a 35degrees inclined plane pulls a 2.5 kg block 5 m up the plane at
constant speed.
(a) How much work has been done by the 25 N force?
(b) much work has been done by friction?
(c) How much work has been done by the gravitational force?

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you done to try and solve the question? Where specifically are you have problems?

work=F(average)*(cos theta)*distance
friction=coefficient of friction * Normal force
gravity is always 9.80m/s^2 on earth

this is what i got so far. W = F * distance

so by the diagram I got:

W = 25 N * 5m * cos 35

but i know that's wrong... i dont' know how i incorporate teh mass

multiply the mass by gravity, but remember that gravity will be straight down and the normal force is perpendicular to the block, so use a net force diagram to sort out the remaining forces ... hope that helps, makes more sense in my head than it does typed, lol

WCU said:
multiply the mass by gravity, but remember that gravity will be straight down and the normal force is perpendicular to the block, so use a net force diagram to sort out the remaining forces ... hope that helps, makes more sense in my head than it does typed, lol

what part of the question are you referring to?

for part a i got 102.4 J. does that look right?

What is the formula for calculating force in a physics problem?

The formula for calculating force is F=ma, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass in kilograms, and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared.

How do you calculate the force in a physics problem with a 25N force, 2.5 kg block, and a 35 degree incline?

To calculate the force, first determine the vertical and horizontal components of the force. The vertical component is found by multiplying the force (25N) by the sine of the angle (35 degrees). The horizontal component is found by multiplying the force (25N) by the cosine of the angle (35 degrees). Then, use the formula F=ma to calculate the force in the direction of the incline. Finally, use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the force.

What is the difference between weight and mass?

Weight is a measure of the force of gravity on an object, while mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. Weight can change depending on the location and strength of gravity, while mass remains constant.

How do you determine the direction of the force in a physics problem?

The direction of the force is determined by the direction of the acceleration. If the object is moving in the same direction as the acceleration, then the force is in the same direction. If the object is moving in the opposite direction of the acceleration, then the force is in the opposite direction.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics problems include using the wrong units, forgetting to include all the forces acting on an object, and not drawing accurate and complete diagrams to visualize the problem. It is also important to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it.