Fluid simulation for computer graphics

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of particles in simulating fluids and the various equations and updates involved. The algorithm is noted to be computer intensive and the feasibility of running a simulation on an average computer using a 100x100x10 grid is questioned. The speaker also suggests looking into the Marching Cubes algorithm for simulating fluid-like simulations. They also mention the possibility of simulating fluids in a tank with dynamic geometry.
redredred
Can someone explain to me how fluids are simulated using particles? What equations to solve? How to update the particle positions? How awfully computer intensive is the algorithm? Can a simulation using a 100 * 100 * 10 grid run okay on the average computer?

The more I read the more I realize how much is needed to calculate just ONE STEP in time.

Technology news on Phys.org
I can't help, but Blender might be a good place to start, if you can read Python.

redredred said:
Can someone explain to me how fluids are simulated using particles? What equations to solve? How to update the particle positions? How awfully computer intensive is the algorithm? Can a simulation using a 100 * 100 * 10 grid run okay on the average computer?

The more I read the more I realize how much is needed to calculate just ONE STEP in time.

What kind of simulation are you after?

Are you looking at simulating "fluid-like" simulations that don't collide with any external geometry, or are you looking at doing a type of simulation of fluids in something like say a tank with dynamic geometry included?

Maybe you should get started by reading about the Marching Cubes algorithm for the first case. There are plenty of demos on the internet for OpenGL and DirectX that show this (and have complete source code).

If you want to do something with less constraints, then that is another issue.

What is fluid simulation for computer graphics?

Fluid simulation for computer graphics is a technique used to simulate and render realistic fluid behavior in computer-generated animations and simulations. It involves solving mathematical equations that govern the motion of fluids, such as liquids and gases, and applying them to create visually accurate and realistic fluid motion.

What are the applications of fluid simulation in computer graphics?

Fluid simulation has a wide range of applications in computer graphics, including creating realistic water and weather effects in movies, video games, and virtual reality experiences. It is also used in engineering and scientific simulations, such as testing the aerodynamics of vehicles and predicting weather patterns.

What are the challenges of fluid simulation for computer graphics?

One of the main challenges of fluid simulation for computer graphics is the complex and time-consuming calculations required to accurately simulate fluid behavior. Another challenge is creating visually realistic and detailed fluid surfaces, such as splashes and foam, which can be computationally expensive. Additionally, simulating interactions between fluids and other objects, such as obstacles or boundaries, can be difficult to achieve realistically.

What are the different methods of fluid simulation for computer graphics?

There are several methods for fluid simulation in computer graphics, including Eulerian and Lagrangian methods. Eulerian methods are based on a fixed grid and are better suited for large-scale simulations, while Lagrangian methods track individual particles and are more suitable for smaller, detailed simulations. Other techniques include smoothed particle hydrodynamics (SPH), which uses a set of particles to represent the fluid, and vortex methods, which simulate fluid motion using vortices.

How is fluid simulation for computer graphics used in real-time applications?

Real-time fluid simulation in computer graphics is used in applications such as video games and virtual reality experiences. To achieve real-time performance, simplified fluid models and faster algorithms are often used, sacrificing some visual accuracy for faster calculations. Additionally, techniques such as pre-computed fluid simulations and texture-based methods are used to reduce the computational cost of real-time fluid simulation.