Which Can Drive a Golf Ball Farther: A Baseball Bat or a Golf Club?

In summary, the product of mass and velocity is not force, it's momentum. The head of a golf club has less mass but is traveling faster, so the extra mass of the aluminium bat makes a difference but you can't just multiply by the mass. The extra mass makes some difference, but you can't just multiply by the mass and think of a one-ton car or a ten-thousand-ton ship hitting the golf ball at, say 20 mph. If the bat were the same weight as the ball, then with an elastic collision, the bat should stop completely, and the ball should be driven away with the speed that the bat used to have. If the bat were lighter than the ball, then the bat should rebound,
dannyd17
There was a heated argument at my workplace today on what could drive a golf ball farther, a baseball bat or a golf club. Is it mass x velocity = force...end of story... or is there more to it? I think we are going to have to take an aluminium bat and some golf balls to a driving range to settle this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly, the product of mass and velocity is not force, it's momentum.

Secondly, put my money on the golf club...

how would you figure it out?

The head of the club has less mass but is traveling faster. Does the extra mass of the aluminium bat make a difference?

The extra mass makes some difference, but you can't just multiply by the mass.

Think of a one-ton car or a ten-thousand-ton ship hitting the golf ball at, say 20 mph. You wouldn't expect the ship to knock the ball much farther than the car, even though it weighs 10,000 times as much.

In a simple elastic collision, where the bat is much heavier than the ball, the ball will be driven at twice the speed of the bat.

If the bat were the same weight as the ball, then with an elastic collision, the bat should stop completely, and the ball should be driven away with the speed that the bat used to have.

If the bat were lighter than the ball, then the bat should rebound, and the ball would be driven with less speed than the bat had originally.

Since we know that neither baseball bats nor golf clubs rebound, we know that the ball will be driven faster than the club head was travelling, but not twice as fast (as the clubs aren't infinitely heavy).

A golf club has more of its mass concentrated in the head, and it's longer and lighter, so I would expect the golf club head to be going about twice as fast as a basball bat head, if the same amount of energy is put into it.

So I expect a clear victory for the golf club.

Last edited:
I say we go to the course and test it. My guess is there will be no contest, the golf club will make it go much farther.

Smart money is on the golf club. The average amateur golfer has a swing speed of about 90mph. The average professional baseball player has a swing speed around 80mph. Tiger Woods swing speed has been clocked at over 130mph.

I agree with ceptimus. The tip of the golf club is small, so the force exerted on the golf club is more concentrated, therefore making the golf ball go further. Now if we were dealing with a baseball instead, the bat would definitely win, since the ball is heavier.

my money isn on the tennis raquet :biggrin: :smile: :rofl:

1. What is the main difference between a baseball bat and a golf club?

The main difference between a baseball bat and a golf club is their intended use. A baseball bat is specifically designed for hitting a baseball, while a golf club is designed for hitting a golf ball. They also have different shapes and sizes, with a baseball bat being longer and thicker than a golf club.

2. Can a baseball bat be used as a golf club or vice versa?

Technically, a baseball bat can be used as a golf club and vice versa. However, they are designed for different sports and may not perform well or be efficient when used interchangeably. It is best to use the correct equipment for each sport for optimal results.

3. Which one is more powerful, a baseball bat or a golf club?

This is a difficult question to answer as it depends on various factors such as the material, weight, and swing of the player. In general, a baseball bat may have more power due to its larger size and weight, but a golf club is designed for precision and accuracy in hitting a smaller target.

4. Are there any safety concerns when using a baseball bat or a golf club?

Both a baseball bat and a golf club can be dangerous if not used properly. It is important to follow the safety guidelines and instructions provided by the manufacturer, as well as wearing appropriate protective gear. Using a club or bat that is too heavy or swinging too hard can also increase the risk of injury.

5. Can a baseball bat or a golf club be modified for better performance?

Yes, both a baseball bat and a golf club can be modified for better performance. Some players may have their bats or clubs customized to fit their specific needs, such as adjusting the weight or grip. However, it is important to note that modifying equipment may also affect its legality in official games and competitions.