Robot cinematic model. Which method to get linear and angular speed?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the linear and angular speed of a robot with given x and y coordinates and an angle. The formula for calculating the speed is questioned and the importance of having all variables defined is highlighted. It is determined that having q1, q2, and q3 will allow for the calculation of x, y, r, and theta which can then be used to find the desired speeds.
Patokun
Hello all! I have a question regarding how to get the linear and angular speed for this robot for example (RRP).

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/774/rrp.png

I am given x and y or the hand, as well as theta (angle)

If I were asked to calculate the linear.

Do I derive x and y to q1, q2 and q3, and fill out the Jacobian matrix to get x' and y'?

Or do I use this formula, where V is speed, R is the rotation matrix, P is the position, etc.. The rotations are on the Z axis.

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/4438/equationl.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Patokun! :smile:

What do you mean by theta?
Is it the angle to the hand in polar coordinates?
If you have x and y, that would imply the angle in polar coordinates.

What do the symbols in your formula represent?

Btw, if you have x and y of the hand, your system in not fully defined yet.
There are many possibilities for q1, q2, q3 to get to a specific x and y.

If however, you have q1, q2, q3, you can set up a formula for x, y, and also for r, theta.
From those you can find linear speed and angular speed.

1. What is a robot cinematic model?

A robot cinematic model is a mathematical representation of a robot's physical structure and movement capabilities. It helps in understanding and predicting the robot's motion in different environments and conditions.

2. Why is it important to determine the linear and angular speed of a robot?

The linear and angular speed of a robot are crucial parameters that determine its performance and capabilities. They help in understanding how fast and in which direction the robot can move, which is essential for tasks such as navigation, obstacle avoidance, and manipulation.

3. What are the different methods to calculate the linear and angular speed of a robot?

The most commonly used methods to calculate the linear and angular speed of a robot are through its kinematic and dynamic models. The kinematic model uses the robot's physical dimensions and joint angles to determine its motion, while the dynamic model takes into account external forces and torques acting on the robot.

4. Can the linear and angular speed of a robot be controlled?

Yes, the linear and angular speed of a robot can be controlled through various methods such as programming its motion trajectory, using sensors to detect and adjust speed based on the environment, and implementing feedback control algorithms.

5. How accurate are the calculations of linear and angular speed in a robot cinematic model?

The accuracy of the calculations depends on the complexity and accuracy of the model used, as well as the precision of the measurements and inputs. In general, a well-designed and calibrated robot cinematic model can provide accurate estimations of linear and angular speed.