Calculate Charge of Object A: Mass 100g, Force 0.35N

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charge
In summary, Objects A and B both have a mass of 100 g and are positively charged, with A having twice the charge of B. When placed 10 cm apart, B experiences an electric force of 0.35 N. The equation F = k|q*q'|/r^2 does not involve mass, so it is not necessary to use the mass of 100 g to solve for the charge of qa. The follow-up question is asking for the charge of B.
Miike012
Objects A and B are both positively charged. Both have a mass of 100 g but A has twice the charge of B. When A and B are placed with 10 cm between their centers, B experiences an electric force of 0.35 N

What is the charge of qa?

I have no idea where to start... I know of the equation..

F = k|q*q'|/r^2
but this does not relate to mass in any way... so how am I suppose to implement the 100g into the equation to solve for qa?

Physics news on Phys.org
Miike012 said:
Objects A and B are both positively charged. Both have a mass of 100 g but A has twice the charge of B. When A and B are placed with 10 cm between their centers, B experiences an electric force of 0.35 N

What is the charge of qa?

I have no idea where to start... I know of the equation..

F = k|q*q'|/r^2
but this does not relate to mass in any way... so how am I suppose to implement the 100g into the equation to solve for qa?

For this part of the problem, I believe the mass is irrelevant. There may be a follow-on question that asks for the acceleration due to the electric forces or something...

the follow up question is what is the charge of B

1. How do you calculate the charge of an object?

To calculate the charge of an object, you need to know its mass and the force acting on it. The formula for calculating charge is: Q = m x a, where Q is the charge in Coulombs, m is the mass in kilograms, and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared.

2. What is the unit of charge in this calculation?

The unit of charge in this calculation is Coulombs (C). Coulombs are a unit of electric charge named after French physicist Charles-Augustin de Coulomb.

3. What is the mass of the object in this calculation?

The mass of the object in this calculation is 100 grams. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object and is typically measured in grams or kilograms.

4. What is the force acting on the object in this calculation?

The force acting on the object in this calculation is 0.35 Newtons (N). Newtons are a unit of force named after English mathematician and physicist Sir Isaac Newton.

5. Is there a specific formula for calculating charge?

Yes, there is a specific formula for calculating charge. It is: Q = m x a. This formula is based on Newton's second law of motion, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration.