Synthesis of a nitrile from an amide

• Thread starter chem_tr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Synthesis
In summary, the student said that the reaction which an amide was transformed to a nitrile involved removing water from the reaction medium. However, the student's mechanism disagreed with this claim, and they think that evolutions of sulfur dioxide and hydrogen chloride have fooled the jury into thinking that water was present in the original reaction medium.
chem_tr
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hello everyone,

I watched a MS thesis defence examination on chemistry, and one question was asked to the student, "what is the use of thionyl chloride in the reaction which an amide was transformed to a nitrile?" Unfortunately, there is a "fixed" answer, "to remove water from the reaction medium", which is absolutely wrong in my opinion. The student replied this "babble" and the jury approved this one.

However, I am very curious and restless about the real reason of the reaction, and devised a mechanism, would you please look at the mechanism and say if they are wrong or right?

It would be very informative if I tell you the reaction conditions a bit; dry dimethyl formamide was cooled to 0°C and thionyl chloride was added dropwise, by keeping the temperature below 5°C, under nitrogen atmosphere. When the addition was completed, a greenish yellow color was noticed (note: a literature mentions this reaction as dimethyl formamide+thionyl chloride complex). The amide was then added by small portions, again keeping the temperature below 5°C. The slurry formed after all of the amide was added was stirred for four hours at the same temperature, and the temperature was raised to room temperature and the mixture again stirred for twelve hours at ambient temperature. The mixture was poured on cracked ice and washed with water until pH raises to 5.5-6. There was a strong evolution of sulfur dioxide, so almost all of the reaction steps were advised to be performed under an efficient fume hood.

I refuse that the original reaction involves dehydration, and think that evolutions of sulfur dioxide and hydrogen chloride have fooled them about presence of water in the original medium.

Please give me a hand about this one. Movies, are you around? :approve:

Attachments

• amidden_nitril.zip
    10.4 KB · Views: 305
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'm not entirely clear on what you think is problematic with the mechanism. The picture you posted looks okay to me (although there are a couple of stylistic things I would draw differently). I think the idea of the "dehydration" is that you lose a total of one oxygen and two hydrogens from the amide. So, although you don't get any water molecules, you lose the equivalent atoms of water.

You could draw a mechanism without thionyl chloride that would convert an amide to a nitrile while losing a water molecule. It obviously doesn't happen that way, probably because the water molecule (or one of the intermediates) would just add back in and go back to the amide. So, you need something like thionyl chloride to "soak up" an equivalent of water somehow.

Well, I must admit that a really water elimination takes place in the reaction, I have looked up some books and seen that they (and you) are correct. However, I am right about the presence of Me2+=CHCl Cl-. If there are evolutions of sulfur dioxide and hydrochloric acid, there must be an evolution of water too, which will be "soaked up" by thionyl chloride to form these products.

Thank you for your interest.

Edit: A dehydration step is possible with an intramolecular interaction, so the use of SOCl2 seems to be enough by itself, but since it is a vaporizable chemical, its dmf complex is far more useful, I think.

Last edited:
I agree that DMF and thionyl chloride condense to form the so-called Vilsmeier-Haack reagent. I think that the key is that water is not formed as H2O, although you do lose 2 hydrogens and an oxygen. Since you never have an H2O molecule, the reverse reaction is not possible.

I'm not entirely sure why thionyl chloride isn't used by itself, perhaps the stability issue you mentioned is the reason.

The textbook (Jerry March's Advanced Organic Chemistry, 1992) states that thionyl chloride and some alternatives, in which our Vilsmeier-Haack reagent and P2O5, etc. are all used for dehydration purposes. However, I think we agree that "real" water does not come up in our case, it may be possible with phosphorus oxides though. Similarly, sole SOCl2 again does not produce water, it will produce SO2 and HCl.

Thank you.

What is the purpose of synthesizing a nitrile from an amide?

The purpose of this synthesis is to convert an amide compound into a nitrile, which has a different chemical and physical properties. Nitriles are widely used in various industries, such as pharmaceuticals, agrochemicals, and materials science.

What is the general reaction mechanism for the synthesis of a nitrile from an amide?

The general reaction mechanism involves the dehydrating of the amide functional group to form an imidoyl chloride intermediate, which then reacts with a nucleophile, such as cyanide ion, to form the desired nitrile compound.

What are the common starting materials for the synthesis of a nitrile from an amide?

The most common starting materials are primary or secondary amides, which can be obtained from carboxylic acids or esters through various reactions. Other starting materials may include tertiary amides, lactams, and peptides.

What are the key factors that affect the success of the synthesis of a nitrile from an amide?

The key factors include the choice of starting materials, the reactivity and selectivity of the reagents used, the reaction conditions (such as temperature and solvent), and the purification method. The presence of functional groups and steric hindrance can also affect the success of the synthesis.

What are the potential applications of nitriles synthesized from amides?

Nitriles derived from amides have a wide range of applications, including as intermediates in the production of pharmaceuticals, agrochemicals, and fine chemicals. They can also be used as solvents, corrosion inhibitors, and building blocks for the synthesis of more complex molecules.