Tangent Space Definition (Munkres Analysis on Manifolds)

In summary, tangent vectors and tangent spaces are defined in Munkres's Analysis on Manifolds as pairs of vectors, with the set of all tangent vectors at a point forming a vector space. The tangent space at a point is denoted as ##T_x(\mathbb{R}^n)## and is isomorphic to ##\mathbb{R}^2## for a two-dimensional manifold. The set ##T_x(\mathbb{R}^n)## is described as just ##\textbf{x} \times \mathbb{R}^n##, with each tangent plane defined by the point of attachment and the vectors emanating from it.
mathmonkey
Hi all,

I'm quite confused concerning the definition of tangent vectors and tangent spaces as presented in Munkres's Analysis on Manifolds. Here is the book's definition:

Given ##\textbf{x} \in \mathbb{R}^n##, we define a tangent vector to ##\mathbb{R}^n## at ##\textbf{x}## to be a pair ##(\textbf{x};\textbf{v})##, where ##\textbf{v} \in \mathbb{R}^n##. The set of all tangent vectors to ##\mathbb{R}^n## at ##\textbf{x}## forms a vector space if we define

##(\textbf{x}; \textbf{v}) + (\textbf{x};\textbf{w}) = (\textbf{x}; \textbf{v + w})##,
##c(\textbf{x};\textbf{v}) = (\textbf{x};c\textbf{v})##.

It is called the tangent space to ##\mathbb{R}^n## at ##\textbf{x}##, and is denoted ##T_x(\mathbb{R}^n)##.

I'm not quite sure what is meant by the definition. First off, I'm not sure i understand the notation ##(\textbf{x};\textbf{v})##, which appears to be an ordered pair of vectors. Next, Munkres goes on to describe ##(\textbf{x};\textbf{v})## as "an arrow with its initial point at ##\textbf{x}##, with ##T_x(\mathbb{R}^n)## as the set of all arrows with their initial point at ##\textbf{x}##. What I don't understand is from this description, isn't ##T_x(\mathbb{R}^n## just spanning all of ##\mathbb{R}^n)##? What is the distinction between the two?

Munkres also describes the set ##T_x(\mathbb{R}^n)## as "just the set ##\textbf{x} \times \mathbb{R}^n##. I am also unfamiliar with this notation. If ##\textbf{x}## is also in ##\mathbb{R}^n##, then is ##T_x(\mathbb{R}^n)## a subset of ##\mathbb{R}^{2n}##? That doesn't seem right to me, although I just don't know how to interpret Munkres's explanation.

I think my problem lies in my not understanding the notation used in this chapter. Perhaps the best way for me to understand is maybe with an example. If ##\textbf{x} = (1,1) \in \mathbb{R}^2##, then what is ##T_x(\mathbb{R}^2)## according to Munkres's definition?

Thanks so much for the help all!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi mathmonkey! :smile:
mathmonkey said:
I'm not quite sure what is meant by the definition. First off, I'm not sure i understand the notation ##(\textbf{x};\textbf{v})##, which appears to be an ordered pair of vectors. Next, Munkres goes on to describe ##(\textbf{x};\textbf{v})## as "an arrow with its initial point at ##\textbf{x}##, with ##T_x(\mathbb{R}^n)## as the set of all arrows with their initial point at ##\textbf{x}##. What I don't understand is from this description, isn't ##T_x(\mathbb{R}^n## just spanning all of ##\mathbb{R}^n)##? What is the distinction between the two?

i think it's easier if instead of ℝn, we use the surface, S, of an egg

then, for each point x on S, TxS (or Tx(S)) is the tangent plane at x

although S is round, TxS is flat, and is isomorphic to ℝ2

TxS and TyS are isomorphic to each other, even if x and y are at points of the egg of different curvature

S has nothing to do with ℝ2 (except that they're there same dimension)

Mukres's example has ℝ2 instead of S, so in that particular case the manifold and the tangent space are isomorphic, but they still have nothing to do with each other :wink:
Munkres also describes the set ##T_x(\mathbb{R}^n)## as "just the set ##\textbf{x} \times \mathbb{R}^n##. I am also unfamiliar with this notation. If ##\textbf{x}## is also in ##\mathbb{R}^n##, then is ##T_x(\mathbb{R}^n)## a subset of ##\mathbb{R}^{2n}##? That doesn't seem right to me, although I just don't know how to interpret Munkres's explanation.

he's just saying that each tangent plane is defined not just as the ℝ2 that it's isomorphic to, but also by the point of attachment, x

Hi tiny-tim,

Thanks for your help. So am I right in understanding that in my above example where ##x = (1,1) \in \mathbb{R}^2##, then ##T_x(\mathbb{R}^2)## is in fact the entire plane ##\mathbb{R}^2##, where each of the pairs ##(\textbf{x};\textbf{v})## is a vector ##\textbf{v}## originating from the point ##\textbf{x}##? I have not yet gotten to the part of the text relating this definition to manifolds, so perhaps right now this definition seems to me for the time being unmotivated, especially as I already have preconceived notions of what a "tangent" space looks like based on its name. But I just wanted to make sure I understood the formal definition clearly.

Thanks again for your help!

mathmonkey said:
… So am I right in understanding that in my above example where ##x = (1,1) \in \mathbb{R}^2##, then ##T_x(\mathbb{R}^2)## is in fact the entire plane ##\mathbb{R}^2##, where each of the pairs ##(\textbf{x};\textbf{v})## is a vector ##\textbf{v}## originating from the point ##\textbf{x}##?

yes, it's an entire plane :smile:

(you shouldn't think of all the tangent planes as being the same … they're not the same thing, they're identical different things :wink:)

Great, thanks for your help! I just wanted to make sure I understood fully before moving on in the chapter!

1. What is tangent space in mathematics?

The tangent space is a mathematical concept used in differential geometry to describe the local behavior of a manifold at a specific point. It is a vector space that consists of all the possible tangent vectors at that point.

2. How is tangent space defined in Munkres' Analysis on Manifolds?

In Munkres' Analysis on Manifolds, tangent space is defined as the set of all directional derivatives of a function at a point on a manifold. It is denoted by TpM, where p is the point and M is the manifold.

3. What is the difference between tangent space and tangent plane?

Tangent space is a general concept that can be applied to any point on a manifold, while tangent plane specifically refers to the tangent space at a point on a 2-dimensional manifold. In other words, tangent space is the collection of all tangent planes at every point on the manifold.

4. How is tangent space used in practical applications?

Tangent space is a useful tool in a variety of mathematical fields, including differential geometry, physics, and computer graphics. It is used to study the local behavior of manifolds, which has applications in understanding the curvature and topology of surfaces, as well as in modeling and simulating physical systems.

5. Are there any limitations to the concept of tangent space?

While tangent space is a powerful tool for understanding manifolds, it does have some limitations. For example, it only describes the local behavior of a manifold, and cannot fully capture its global properties. Additionally, it is only defined for smooth manifolds, and may not be applicable to more general types of spaces.