Applied or theoretical physics.

In summary, the conversation discusses whether a person with a Masters in Applied Physics can pursue a PhD in Theoretical Physics without facing any hindrance or if they should have only studied Theoretical Physics from their undergraduate level. There is also a mention of the difference between theoretical and applied physics and the confusion surrounding the two terms. The conversation also touches upon the limitations and opportunities for those with a Masters in Applied Physics in terms of pursuing a PhD in different fields of physics.
zodas
I have a very simple and straightforward question.
This has been troubling me for quiet a long time now.

Can i go for a phd in theoretical physics with a masters in applied physics ?
I basically mean to say that:
Will applied physics degree create any kind of hindrance for phd in theoretical physics ?
OR
Do i really need to go only for theoretical physics right from my graduate level...

Physics news on Phys.org
Well it depends what areas of each you will have studied and want to study.

zodas said:
I have a very simple and straightforward question.
This has been troubling me for quiet a long time now.

Can i go for a phd in theoretical physics with a masters in applied physics ?
I basically mean to say that:
Will applied physics degree create any kind of hindrance for phd in theoretical physics ?
OR
Do i really need to go only for theoretical physics right from my graduate level...

This is a very strange question.

What do you mean by "theoretical physics" and "applied physics"? Would you consider Solid State/Condensed matter physics as 'applied'? If you do, do you think such a field does not have theoretical studies?

As I've written already, a lot of people do not really have a proper understanding of what "theoretical physics" mean.

https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=3727

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
ZapperZ said:
This is a very strange question.

What do you mean by "theoretical physics" and "applied physics"? Would you consider Solid State/Condensed matter physics as 'applied'? If you do, do you think such a field does not have theoretical studies?

As I've written already, a lot of people do not really have a proper understanding of what "theoretical physics" mean.

https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=3727

Zz.

I may be mistaken about this, but from what I understand from the OP's post, there are a number of colleges/universities that offer a specialized MS degree in "applied physics", the specific contents of the degree varying but more often than not focusing on either a combination of experimental physics courses with courses in numerical analysis, electrical engineering, or something along those lines, usually tailored for those intending to work in industry (something not unlike degree programs like engineering physics).

I think what the OP is wondering is whether someone who earns a MS in a program like I described above will still have a decent chance of being accepted into a regular PhD program in physics, or will he/she face disadvantages because of the specialized nature of the MS degree.

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on what I've heard, after the masters you're somewhat limited. Not at all will you be limited in which specific fields you pursue, but on a general scale (going from computational to string theory etc.), switching would probably not be a good idea/wouldn't be allowed to. There really aren't many "theoretical physicists," to begin with. It's pretty rare.

1. What is the difference between applied and theoretical physics?

Applied physics is the branch of physics that focuses on using the principles of physics to solve real-world problems and develop new technologies. Theoretical physics, on the other hand, is concerned with developing and testing theories and models to explain the fundamental laws and phenomena of the universe.

2. What are some examples of applied physics?

Applied physics has a wide range of practical applications, including the development of medical imaging technologies, renewable energy sources, and advanced materials for electronics and transportation. Other examples include robotics, aerospace engineering, and nanotechnology.

3. How does theoretical physics contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Theoretical physics plays a critical role in advancing our understanding of the universe by developing mathematical models and theories to explain complex phenomena, such as gravity, quantum mechanics, and the origins of the universe. These theories are then tested through experiments and observations to validate their accuracy.

4. Can someone study both applied and theoretical physics?

Yes, it is possible to study both applied and theoretical physics. Many physicists have a background in both fields and often collaborate on projects to bridge the gap between theory and practical applications. Understanding the fundamental laws and principles of the universe is essential for developing new technologies and solving real-world problems.

5. What career opportunities are available in applied and theoretical physics?

There are numerous career opportunities in both applied and theoretical physics. Applied physicists can work in a variety of industries, including healthcare, energy, and aerospace, while theoretical physicists can pursue careers in research and academia. Both fields offer opportunities for scientific advancement and contribute to society through the development of new technologies and understanding of the universe.