Rotational Inertia of a hollow sphere(having trouble)

In summary, Daniel explains that the rotational inertia of a sphere is calculated using the moment of inertia and the surface area. The surface area is deduced from the mass and the radius of the sphere.
Vasco
Hello,mates.i`,ve been struggling to demonstrate the procedure to
calculate the rotational inertia of a hollow/empty sphere around an axe that passes through its diameter.Please,could
you shed me some light or show me the procedure(Even show me any online papers on it)I`d be Glad.Please help me! :bugeye:

The result is I=2/3(M*R^2).

THANK YOU!
Jason,physicist21@yahoo.com

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] I=\int r^{2}dm [/tex] In the case of a sphere of radius R,the moment of inertia becomes

[tex] I=\int R^{2}\sin^{2}\vartheta \left( \frac{M}{4\pi R^{2}}dS\right) =\frac{1}{4\pi}MR^{2}\int_{0}^{2\pi}d\varphi\int_{0}^{\pi}d\vartheta \ \sin^{3}\vartheta [/tex]

Compute the integrals and get the result.

"r" is in the general case the distance between the mass element "dm" & the rotation axis.In this case,i've chosen spherical coordinates & the axis of rotation as Oz...

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
[tex] I=\int r^{2}dm [/tex] In the case of a sphere of radius R,the moment of inertia becomes

[tex] I=\int R^{2}\sin^{2}\vartheta \left( \frac{M}{4\pi R^{2}}dS\right) =\frac{1}{4\pi}MR^{2}\int_{0}^{2\pi}d\varphi\int_{0}^{\pi}d\vartheta \ \sin^{3}\vartheta [/tex]

Compute the integrals and get the result.

"r" is in the general case the distance between the mass element "dm" & the rotation axis.In this case,i've chosen spherical coordinates & the axis of rotation as Oz...

Daniel.
hey Daniel,thanks!But,i`m still confused about the choice of dm and the use of coordinates to use on the integrals.could you elaborate some more?(my professor wants things with so much detail! :cry: ).Once more,i thank you and wait for yer answer. Jason.

I've chosen a completely arbitrary mass element of the sphere.I assumed that the density of the sphere is constant & equal to the ratio between the sphere's mass & its surface.Then the mass "dm" of the surface element "dS" and the element of the surface "dS" are linked through

[tex] \mbox{mass}=\mbox{density}\cdot \mbox{surface} [/tex]

[tex] dm=\frac{M}{4\pi R^{2}} dS [/tex]

That's all there is to it.

The parametrization of the 2 sphere is of course:

[tex] \left\{ \begin{array}{c}x=R\sin\vartheta\cos\varphi\\y=R\sin\vartheta\sin\varphi\\z=R\cos\vartheta \end{array} \right [/tex]

which induces the surface element

[tex] dS=R^{2}\sin\vartheta \ d\vartheta \ d\varphi [/tex]

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
I've chosen a completely arbitrary mass element of the sphere.I assumed that the density of the sphere is constant & equal to the ratio between the sphere's mass & its surface.Then the mass "dm" of the surface element "dS" and the element of the surface "dS" are linked through

[tex] \mbox{mass}=\mbox{density}\cdot \mbox{surface} [/tex]

[tex] dm=\frac{M}{4\pi R^{2}} dS [/tex]

That's all there is to it.

The parametrization of the 2 sphere is of course:

[tex] \left\{ \begin{array}{c}x=R\sin\vartheta\cos\varphi\\y=R\sin\vartheta\sin\varphi\\z=R\cos\vartheta \end{array} \right [/tex]

which induces the surface element

[tex] dS=R^{2}\sin\vartheta \ d\vartheta \ d\varphi [/tex]

Daniel.
Daniel,i`m almost there.i just have one more doubt.Where the result [tex] dS=R^{2}\sin\vartheta \ d\vartheta \ d\varphi [/tex] comes from?I won't bother you anymore;) thanks!

It's the surface element in spherical coordinates...It's famous and it is deduced in a course on calculus/analysis.It can be even justified by geometrical arguments.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
It's the surface element in spherical coordinates...It's famous and it is deduced in a course on calculus/analysis.It can be even justified by geometrical arguments.

Daniel.
Sorry daniel:) i had forgoten for a moment this deduction) which is so easy.Now,i`ve made it.I`m just tired of demonstrating every inertia possible (big homework!).Ya helped a lot! thank ya! :cool:

Q: What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, or moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is similar to mass in linear motion, but for rotational motion.

Q: How is rotational inertia calculated for a hollow sphere?

The rotational inertia of a hollow sphere can be calculated using the formula I = (2/3)MR2, where M is the mass of the sphere and R is the radius. This formula assumes that the sphere has a uniform density and is rotating about its central axis.

Q: Why is it important to understand rotational inertia?

Understanding rotational inertia is important in many areas of science and engineering, including mechanics, robotics, and aerospace. It allows us to predict and control the behavior of rotating objects, such as wheels, gears, and satellites.

Q: How does the shape of a hollow sphere affect its rotational inertia?

The shape of a hollow sphere does not affect its rotational inertia as long as the mass and radius remain the same. This is because the formula for rotational inertia of a hollow sphere only takes into account the mass and radius, not the shape.

Q: How can rotational inertia be changed for a hollow sphere?

The rotational inertia of a hollow sphere can be changed by altering its mass or radius. For example, increasing the mass or radius will also increase the rotational inertia, while decreasing the mass or radius will decrease it. Additionally, the rotational inertia can be changed by changing the distribution of mass within the sphere, such as adding or removing material from certain areas.