Why are Cosmic Rays and Hard X-rays Essential for Heating Molecular Clouds?

• Thread starter vikasagartha
  • Start date
In summary, cosmic rays, which are mostly protons, are important for the heating of molecular clouds because they can penetrate farther into the clouds compared to soft X-rays. This is due to the large optical depth of the clouds in the visible spectrum. It is suggested to ask for clarification in class for a better understanding.
vikasagartha
Hi! I am an student w/ little background in astronomy taking an upper level astro course, and am having some difficulty with basic concepts. Any help is appreciated.

Why are cosmic rays so important for the heating of molecular clouds? I read that hard xrays can heat as well, while soft xrays cannot. Help?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Cosmic rays are mostly protons, not photons.

Last edited:
vikasagartha said:
Hi! I am an student w/ little background in astronomy taking an upper level astro course, and am having some difficulty with basic concepts. Any help is appreciated.

Why are cosmic rays so important for the heating of molecular clouds? I read that hard xrays can heat as well, while soft xrays cannot. Help?

Welcome to PF,

I'm not 100% sure of the answer (not an ISM guy), but the relative importance of various heating mechanisms might have something to do with the optical depth of molecular clouds as well (which is large, in the visible). It could be that hard X-rays (and cosmic rays) can simply penetrate farther. Take this with a grain of salt. This is not a question that is too basic or to which you should already know the answer. Ask for clarification in your class!

1. What is the ISM (Interstellar Medium)?

The ISM is the matter and radiation that exists in the space between stars in a galaxy. It is made up of gas, dust, and cosmic rays.

2. How does heating and cooling occur in the ISM?

Heating and cooling in the ISM is primarily driven by interactions between particles and radiation. High-energy radiation from stars can heat up the gas and dust in the ISM, while collisions between particles can also transfer heat. Cooling occurs through the emission of radiation from particles, which helps regulate the temperature of the ISM.

3. What factors influence the heating and cooling processes in the ISM?

The main factors that influence heating and cooling in the ISM are the density and composition of the gas and dust, the intensity and type of radiation present, and the overall energy balance of the ISM. Other factors such as magnetic fields and shock waves can also play a role.

4. How do heating and cooling impact star formation in the ISM?

The heating and cooling processes in the ISM are closely linked to the formation of stars. The heating of gas and dust can trigger the collapse of molecular clouds, leading to the formation of new stars. At the same time, the cooling of the ISM helps regulate the temperature and density of the gas, which is crucial for the formation and evolution of stars.

5. Can we observe the heating and cooling processes in the ISM?

Yes, we can observe the heating and cooling processes in the ISM through various telescopes and instruments. For example, infrared and submillimeter telescopes can detect the heat emitted by dust particles, while X-ray telescopes can observe the high-energy radiation from hot gas in the ISM. These observations help us better understand the physical processes at work in the ISM.