What Changes If i Place two magnets together?

• Thread starter Sylvester1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnets
In summary, when two magnets are placed together, their dimensions and magnetic moment may change, but the poles remain the same. The magnetic moment may become smaller as the poles get closer, but each magnet still has two poles.
Sylvester1
What Changes If i Place two magnets together??

Hello everybody,

i wanted to ask what changes when i unite two magnets ??

except from the dimensions does magnetic moment, Br change?

Thanx in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean when you sit a N-pole of one magnet on a S-pole of another?
You've just made a new magnet with poles farther apart haven't you?
You should be able to work out the consequences from you existing knowledge of how magnets work.

Similarly - what happens when you saw a magnet in half and separate the halves?

xmmm ok thanx!it is just that i read somewhere that magnetic moment goes to zero if i unite 2 magnets in their different poles and that confused me a bit!

Magnetism is very complicated so it is common to get confused.
The moment between the poles gets very small as they approach each other - yes - and may go to zero if the model puts the pole "charge" on the surface of the physical magnets. However each magnet has another pole.

In a simple before and after picture using poles:
- before you had two separate short magnets each with two poles for a total of four;
- after you have one long magnet with two poles.

I can tell you that when two magnets are placed together, their magnetic fields interact with each other. This results in a stronger magnetic force between the two magnets, known as the magnetic attraction force. The magnetic field lines of the two magnets combine, creating a more concentrated and stronger magnetic field. This means that the overall magnetic moment of the two magnets will increase when they are placed together.

Additionally, depending on the orientation of the two magnets, their magnetic fields may either reinforce or cancel each other out. This is due to the fact that magnets have a north and south pole, and like poles repel while opposite poles attract. So, if you place two magnets with their north poles facing each other, their magnetic fields will cancel out and the magnets will not stick together. But if you place one magnet with its north pole facing the south pole of the other magnet, their magnetic fields will align and attract each other, resulting in a stronger magnetic force between them.

In terms of the physical properties of the magnets, like the dimensions and Br (residual magnetic flux density), they will not change when the magnets are placed together. However, their overall magnetic strength will increase due to the combined magnetic fields. I hope this helps answer your question!

1. What happens when two magnets are placed together?

When two magnets are placed together, they can either attract or repel each other depending on their orientation. If the poles of the magnets are opposite (North and South), they will attract each other. If the poles are the same (North and North or South and South), they will repel each other.

2. Will the strength of the magnets change when they are placed together?

The overall strength of the magnets will not change when they are placed together. However, the magnetic force between them may increase or decrease depending on their orientation and distance.

3. How close do the magnets need to be to affect each other?

The distance at which magnets will affect each other depends on their size and strength. Generally, the closer the magnets are to each other, the stronger the magnetic force will be.

4. Can placing two magnets together weaken their magnetic fields?

Yes, placing two magnets together in a repelling orientation can weaken their magnetic fields. This is because the magnetic force between them is working against their natural alignment, causing their magnetic fields to cancel out to some extent.

5. Is there a limit to how many magnets can be placed together?

There is no specific limit to how many magnets can be placed together. However, the strength of the magnetic field will decrease as more magnets are added, and eventually, the magnetic force may not be strong enough to affect other magnets.