Relation between Cooling rate and Viscosity in Newtonian fluid

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between cooling rate and viscosity in a situation where a molten Aluminium Copper alloy is poured into a mold to be solidified. The speaker is looking for an expression that relates temperature or temperature gradient with viscosity in this non-Newtonian scenario. Another participant suggests that conduction is the dominant factor here, while the speaker mentions the importance of viscosity in a micro range for their specific situation.
ronin777
Relation between Cooling rate and Viscosity

Hi all

I have a situation where i have a molten Aluminium Copper alloy melt poured in a mould
to be solidified. This means, the mould temperature is lower than than than the poured melt. I am thinking about a relation which associates temperature or temperature gradient across the fluid in the mould or the cooling rate because of the temperature gradient with the viscosity situation in the melt.
Please suggest expression(s) for the same in such a case.

P.S.: Correction: Assumption is non-Newtonian

Best Regards
Ronin

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see why the viscosity would matter here. This problem seems to be to be dominated by conduction, which really only depends the thermal conductivity of the materials in question. Barring a very low viscosity material, I wouldn't expect there to be enough flow for convection to play any important role.

@boneh3ad

According to Krieger Rheological model, viscosity depends on the developing solid fraction in a solidification process and i am dealing with flow in micro range here. So, it is important for me.

1. How does cooling rate affect the viscosity of a Newtonian fluid?

The cooling rate of a Newtonian fluid directly affects its viscosity. As the fluid cools, its molecules slow down and become more organized, leading to a higher viscosity. This is because the molecules are more likely to stick together and resist flow at lower temperatures.

2. Is there a specific relationship between cooling rate and viscosity in Newtonian fluids?

Yes, there is a direct relationship between cooling rate and viscosity in Newtonian fluids. The faster a fluid cools, the higher its viscosity will be. Similarly, a slower cooling rate will result in a lower viscosity.

3. Can the relationship between cooling rate and viscosity be described by a mathematical equation?

Yes, the relationship between cooling rate and viscosity in Newtonian fluids can be described by the Arrhenius equation. This equation relates the rate of change in viscosity to the temperature and activation energy of the fluid.

4. How does the molecular structure of a Newtonian fluid impact the relation between cooling rate and viscosity?

The molecular structure of a Newtonian fluid plays a significant role in the relationship between cooling rate and viscosity. Fluids with longer, more complex molecules tend to have a higher viscosity, making them more resistant to flow. Therefore, their viscosity will be more affected by changes in cooling rate.

5. Can the relation between cooling rate and viscosity in Newtonian fluids be manipulated for practical applications?

Yes, the relationship between cooling rate and viscosity can be manipulated for various practical applications. For example, in industrial processes, controlling the cooling rate of a Newtonian fluid can help achieve the desired viscosity for specific products. This manipulation can also be utilized in the production of food and beverages, where the desired texture and consistency can be achieved by controlling the cooling rate of the fluid.