Maxwell stress tensor in different coordinate system

In summary, the conversation discusses the validity of an expression for the Maxwell stress-energy tensor in different coordinate systems. It is confirmed that the expression is valid in any orthogonal coordinate system.
dapias09
Hi guys,

I would like to know if the answer given to this thread is correct

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=457405

I got the same doubt, is the expression for the tensor given in cartesian coordinates or is it general to any orthogonal coordinate system?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
The Maxwell stress-energy tensor can be written in a co-ordinate free form:

4πT[itex]^{ij}[/itex] = F[itex]^{ik}[/itex]F[itex]^{j}_{k}[/itex]-1/4 η[itex]^{ij}[/itex]F[itex]_{ab}[/itex]F[itex]^{ab}[/itex]

So any coordinate system may be used.

Hi Andy, thanks for your answer.

Well, my punctual question is, can I type

$$ T_{ij} = (E_iE_j - \frac{1}{2}\delta_{ij}E^2) + (B_iB_j - \frac{1}{2}\delta_{ij}B^2)$$

with the dummy indices equal to $x$, $y$, $z$ as well as $r$, $\theta$, $\phi$ , or the indices of any other coordinate system.

I don't know if the expression given is valid only for cartesian coordinates

It would hold in any orthogonal coordinate system, because there are no derivatives involved.

Likes 1 person
Ok, thank you clem.

1. What is the Maxwell stress tensor?

The Maxwell stress tensor is a mathematical quantity used in electromagnetism to describe the distribution of electromagnetic forces acting on a surface or interface within a given region of space.

2. How is the Maxwell stress tensor derived?

The Maxwell stress tensor is derived from Maxwell's equations, which are a set of four fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. It is a combination of the electric and magnetic field vectors and their derivatives.

3. How does the Maxwell stress tensor change in different coordinate systems?

The Maxwell stress tensor is a geometric tensor, meaning it changes under coordinate transformations. In different coordinate systems, the components of the tensor will have different values, but the overall physical interpretation remains the same.

4. What are the physical implications of the Maxwell stress tensor?

The Maxwell stress tensor provides important information about the distribution of electromagnetic forces within a given region of space. It can be used to calculate the total force acting on a surface, as well as the torque exerted on an object within an electromagnetic field.

5. How is the Maxwell stress tensor used in practical applications?

The Maxwell stress tensor is used in various practical applications, such as in the design of electric motors and generators, calculation of electromagnetic forces in materials, and analysis of electromagnetic fields in different types of devices. It is also important in the study of electromagnetic waves and their interactions with matter.