Variance of Geometric Brownian motion?

In summary, the conversation is about trying to derive the probability distribution of Geometric Brownian motion and finding the variance. The equation for GBM is dX=\mu X dt + \sigma X dB and Ito's lemma is used to work towards the solution. The result is lnX=(\mu - \frac{\sigma ^{2}}{2})t+\sigma B. The next step is treating it as a standard drift diffusion and using the formula N'(x,t)=\displaystyle\frac{1}{\sigma\sqrt{2 \pi t}}\exp(-\frac{(x-\mu t)^{2}}{2\sigma ^{2} t}) to find the variance. However, there
saminator910
I am trying to derive the Probability distribution of Geometric Brownian motion, and I don't know how to find the variance.

start with geometric brownian motion

[itex]dX=\mu X dt + \sigma X dB[/itex]

I use ito's lemma working towards the solution, and I get this.

[itex]\ln X = (\mu - \frac{\sigma ^{2}}{2})t+\sigma B[/itex]

Now, it seems to me that from here I can treat this as a standard drift diffusion which follows

[itex]N'(x,t)=\displaystyle\frac{1}{\sigma\sqrt{2 \pi t}}\exp(-\frac{(x-\mu t)^{2}}{2\sigma ^{2} t})[/itex]

[itex]\hat{\mu}=(\mu - \frac{\sigma ^{2}}{2})t[/itex]

But now, how to find [itex]Var(\ln X)[/itex]

I try [itex]Var(\ln X)=\sigma ^{2} t[/itex]

In theory, since the random varable can be written [itex]X=X_{0}e^{Y}[/itex], where [itex]Y=(\mu - \frac{\sigma ^{2}}{2})t+\sigma B[/itex]. We can describe the natural log of [itex]\frac{X}{X_{0}}[/itex] the same way.

[itex]N'(\ln \frac{X}{X_{0}},t)=\displaystyle\frac{1}{\sigma\sqrt{2 \pi t}}\exp(-\frac{(\ln X- \ln X_{0}-(\mu - \frac{\sigma ^{2} }{2})t)^{2}}{2\sigma ^{2}t})[/itex]

Apparently it yields a log-normal distribution for [itex]X[/itex]. According to wikipedia, this is the end result... Notice the extra X in the denominator.

[itex]f_{X_t}(X; \mu, \sigma, t) =\displaystyle \frac{1}{X \sigma \sqrt{2 \pi t}}\, \, \exp \left( -\frac{ \left( \ln X - \ln X_0 - \left( \mu - \frac{1}{2} \sigma^2 \right) t \right)^2}{2\sigma^2 t} \right)[/itex]

Can anyone give me an explanation of where I went wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

1. What is the formula for calculating the variance of Geometric Brownian motion?

The formula for calculating the variance of Geometric Brownian motion is:
σ² = (μ² * t)/2 + (σ² * t)/3
Where μ is the mean return, σ is the standard deviation, and t is the time period.

2. How is the variance of Geometric Brownian motion related to the volatility of a stock?

The variance of Geometric Brownian motion is directly related to the volatility of a stock. The higher the variance, the higher the volatility, indicating that the stock price is likely to have larger and more frequent fluctuations.

3. Can the variance of Geometric Brownian motion be negative?

No, the variance of Geometric Brownian motion cannot be negative. It is a measure of variability and must always be a positive value.

4. How does changing the parameters of Geometric Brownian motion affect its variance?

Changing the parameters of Geometric Brownian motion, such as the mean return and standard deviation, can significantly impact its variance. For example, increasing the mean return will result in a higher variance, indicating a more volatile stock price.

5. Why is the variance of Geometric Brownian motion important in financial modeling?

The variance of Geometric Brownian motion is important in financial modeling because it is used to calculate the risk and expected return of a stock. It helps analysts and investors understand the potential volatility of a stock and make informed decisions about their investments.