Simple statistical moment question

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of skewness and kurtosis in analyzing a sample's pdf. One person is unsure if it is necessary to compute these statistical moments if they already have the pdf. The other person explains that these measures can provide quantitative comparisons between different pdfs and can be useful in understanding the data. Ultimately, the decision to compute these measures depends on the purpose of the data analysis.
member 428835
hi pf!

so i am going to take the skewness and kurtosis of a sample. however, if i already have a pdf, is there really any reason for doing this?

thanks!

josh

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you are the one who is going to do it, you tell me?

joshmccraney said:
so i am going to take the skewness and kurtosis of a sample

Terms like "mean", "variance", "skewness" are ambiguous. Each such term has at least 3 possible meanings. For example, "variance" can mean "the variance of a random variable", which is a property of the pdf of the random variable. "Vaiance" can also mean the "variance of a sample". "Variance" can also mean "an estimator of the variance of the random variable" - this need not be the same as "the variance of a sample".

Simon Bridge said:
Well, you are the one who is going to do it, you tell me?
well, I'm really not sure. i mean, a part of me thinks if we have the pdf, all the skewness and kurtosis are going to tell me is the pdf shape. skewness tells if one tail is longer than the other. kurtosis talks about flatness and tail thickness.

but on the other hand, graphs can be misleading, and we can't always trust what we see, so maybe I should compute these statistical moments?

what do you think?

Depends what you want the data to tell you.
You'd normally want a measure for the different features like that so that you can compare one pdf to another quantitatively... like you can say that one graph is 15% more skewed to the left than the other or something.

So if you know what you got the pdf for in the first place, what you want to do with it, then you will know if you need the other stuff.

1. What is a simple statistical moment?

A simple statistical moment is a measure of the distribution of a set of data. It is used to describe the location, spread, and shape of the data. Moments are calculated by raising each value in the data set to a certain power and then taking the average of those values.

2. How do you calculate the mean using simple statistical moments?

The first moment, also known as the mean, is calculated by taking the sum of all the values in the data set and dividing it by the number of values. This gives an average value that represents the center of the data.

3. What is the difference between the first, second, and third moments?

The first moment (mean) represents the center of the data, the second moment (variance) represents the spread of the data, and the third moment (skewness) represents the symmetry of the data. Each moment provides different information about the data set.

4. How are simple statistical moments used in data analysis?

Simple statistical moments are used to summarize and describe the distribution of data. They can be used to compare different data sets, identify outliers, and make inferences about the data. Moments are also used in more advanced statistical techniques, such as regression analysis and hypothesis testing.

5. What are some limitations of using simple statistical moments?

Simple statistical moments assume that the data follows a specific distribution, such as a normal distribution. If the data does not follow this distribution, the moments may not accurately represent the data. Additionally, moments do not provide information about the individual data points and may not be suitable for highly skewed or extreme data sets.