Finding distance using sound

• Thread starter babbagee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
In summary, the question is about finding the height of a fog-shrouded cliff in the High Sierra. The approach is to drop a rock from the top and measure the time it takes for the sound of it hitting the ground to reach the person. By solving equations for time and substituting the value for the speed of sound, the height of the cliff can be determined. The final answer is approximately 380 meters.
babbagee
here is the question

Cliff Height. You are climbing in the High Sierra where you suddenly find yourself at the edge of a fog-shrouded cliff. To find the height of this cliff, you drop a rock from the top and 10.0 s later hear the sound of it hitting the ground at the foot of the cliff.

Ignoring air resistance, how high is the cliff if the speed of sound is 330 m/s

ok i did the problem and i just wanted at least to people to check my work.

h = .5gt2

time for sound to reach the person
ts = h/vsound

since the total time is ten seconds then i can solve both equations for time
time for rock to hit ground
t = sqrt(2h/g)
time for sound to travel up to the person
t = h/vsound

then ttotal = sqrt(2h/g) + h/vsound

then i can solve for h.

I got -1086.9m and -14130.43m

can at least two people confirm that. The reason i am asking is because I am doing my homework online and i have one more try to get it right, so i want to make sure I got it right.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your arithmetic for the quadratic.

The answer is closer to 380 m - which you can check by substituting it into the expression you already had - ttotal = sqrt(2h/g) + h/vsound - it's correct.

Last edited:
for sharing your work with us. Based on the information you provided, I can confirm that your calculations are correct. The negative values you obtained are most likely due to a sign error in your calculations. Make sure to double check your equations and units to ensure accuracy. Good luck on your homework!

1. How does sound help us find distance?

Sound travels in waves and can travel through different mediums, such as air or water. By measuring the time it takes for sound to travel from a source to a receiver, we can calculate the distance between them using the speed of sound in that medium.

2. What is the speed of sound in different mediums?

The speed of sound varies depending on the medium it is traveling through. In air at room temperature, the speed of sound is approximately 343 meters per second. In water, it is about 1,500 meters per second, and in steel, it can reach up to 5,000 meters per second.

3. What types of equipment are used to measure sound and distance?

There are various types of equipment that can be used to measure sound and distance, such as sonar devices, decibel meters, and ultrasonic sensors. These devices use different methods to measure sound and calculate the distance based on the speed of sound in the medium.

4. What are some real-world applications of finding distance using sound?

Finding distance using sound is commonly used in sonar technology for underwater navigation and mapping. It is also used in the automotive industry for parking sensors and collision avoidance systems. Additionally, it is used in medical imaging for ultrasounds to measure the size and position of organs and tissues in the body.

5. Can sound be used to find distance in any environment?

No, sound waves can only travel through mediums that allow for their propagation. For example, sound cannot travel in a vacuum, so it cannot be used to find distance in space. However, it can be used in various environments such as air, water, and solids.