Calculating Electric Field at Origin due to Two Point Charges

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the magnitude of the net electric field at the origin due to two point charges, q1 = -4 nC and q2 = +6 nC, located at (0.6, 0.8) and (0.6, 0) respectively. The person suggests using the distances of the charges from the origin to calculate the electric fields, but is reminded that the fields need to be added as vectors in the x and y directions. This helps clarify the issue and the person expresses their understanding.
hotmail590
A point charge q1 -4 nC is at the point x = 0.600 m, y = 0.800 m, and a second point charge q2 +6 nC is at the point x = 0.600 m, y = 0.
I need to calculate the magnitude of the net electric field at the origin due to these two point charges.
|
|....... q1 (0.6, 0.8)
|
|
|
|
|
Origin--------------------q2 (0.6, 0)
To solve this problem I was thinking of taking the distances of q1 and q2 from the origin and using that as the radius, I can plug into
E = 1/(4piEo) * q1/r^2 r = 1 q1= -4nC
and
E = 1/(4piEo) * q2/r^2 r = 0.6 q2= +6nC
and add them together to find the electric field at the origin.
however when I did that, the answer turned out to be incorrect.
What am I'm doing wrong? Thakn you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your distances are correct, but you're ignoring the fact that the electric fields from the two charges need to be added as vectors, not just numbers. You need to split the fields into components in the x and y directions, then add them.

Does that help?

ohh i understand now! thankyou@!

1. How do I calculate the electric field at the origin due to two point charges?

To calculate the electric field at the origin due to two point charges, you can use the formula E = k*q/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant (8.99 x 10^9 N*m^2/C^2), q is the charge of the point charge, and r is the distance between the charge and the origin.

2. What is the direction of the electric field at the origin due to two point charges?

The direction of the electric field at the origin due to two point charges can be determined by the charges and their relative positions. If the two charges have the same sign, the electric field will point away from them. If the charges have opposite signs, the electric field will point towards them.

3. Can the electric field at the origin be negative?

Yes, the electric field at the origin can be negative. This would occur if the two point charges have opposite signs and the resulting electric field points towards the origin.

4. What happens to the electric field at the origin if the distance between the two point charges is increased?

If the distance between the two point charges is increased, the electric field at the origin will decrease. This is because the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges.

5. How do I find the net electric field at the origin when there are multiple point charges?

To find the net electric field at the origin when there are multiple point charges, you can use the principle of superposition. This means that you can find the electric field at the origin due to each individual point charge and then add them together to get the net electric field.