How to Show Sequence is Cauchy for n in the Naturals

In summary, the conversation discusses using Cauchy's criterion to prove the convergence of the sequence p_n = 1 + \frac{1}{2!} + ... + \frac{1}{n!}. The conversation also involves finding a telescoping sequence and using a hint that involves k terms, the largest of which is 1/(n+1)!. Ultimately, the conversation concludes with the proof that the sequence is Cauchy by finding a number N that satisfies the criterion for all m and n larger than N.
Unassuming
For n in the naturals, let

[tex]p_n = 1 + \frac{1}{2!} + ... + \frac{1}{n!}[/tex]

Show it is cauchy.

Attempt:

I have set up |p_n+k - p_n | < e , and I have solved for this.

I got [tex]|p_{n+k} - p_n | = \frac{1}{(n+1)!} + ... + \frac{1}{(n+k)!}[/tex]

I am trying to follow an example in the book. I now need to find a telescoping sequence that is a little bit greater than my sequence above. It should also contain what seems like two fractions, or parts, with one of them converging and the other adding an arbitrary "k". I would appreciate any hints on this.

I got stuck on how to break up, 1 / (n+k-1)! . I am not sure if that is worthwhile or I am totally off.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unassuming said:
For n in the naturals, let

[tex]p_n = 1 + \frac{1}{2!} + ... + \frac{1}{n!}[/tex]

Show it is cauchy.

Attempt:

I have set up |p_n+k - p_n | < e , and I have solved for this.

I got [tex]|p_{n+k} - p_n | = \frac{1}{(n+1)!} + ... + \frac{1}{(n+k)!}[/tex]

I am trying to follow an example in the book. I now need to find a telescoping sequence that is a little bit greater than my sequence above. It should also contain what seems like two fractions, or parts, with one of them converging and the other adding an arbitrary "k". I would appreciate any hints on this.

I got stuck on how to break up, 1 / (n+k-1)! . I am not sure if that is worthwhile or I am totally off.

You have k terms, the largest of which is 1/(n + 1)! Is that enough of a hint?

Your hint helped but since this is my first cauchy problem I am still lost. I am getting lost when I try to find the partial fractions of

[tex]\frac{1}{n!(n+k)}[/tex]

I am doing this in order to get the telescoping sequence.

Unassuming said:
Your hint helped but since this is my first cauchy problem I am still lost. I am getting lost when I try to find the partial fractions of

[tex]\frac{1}{n!(n+k)}[/tex]

I am doing this in order to get the telescoping sequence.

So why do you think you need to decompose the fraction and why do you think you need a telescoping sequence? Given a positive number epsilon, all you need to do is find a number N so that for all m and n larger than N, any two terms in your sequence are closer together than epsilon.

HINT: You have k terms (count 'em!) on the right, the largest of which is 1/(n + 1)!

I'm not sure how to use your hint, Mark44...
are you going to prove it by saying that
[tex]\frac{1}{(n+1)!}+\frac{1}{(n+2)!}+...+\frac{1}{(n+k)!}<\frac{k}{(n+1)!}[/tex],
which looks as if it approaches to 0 as N goes to infinity. So it can be made less than a given epsilon?
But, I realize that k is independent on the given epsilon. So if you find a N. I can choose k large enough, say, k=(n+1)! which will make that inequality useless.
So how can it be done?

A different hint: prove its convergenece as an upper bounded increasing sequences, which implies also it's a cauchy.

PS. Well, after a second thought, The hint of Mark44 really works, but a bit tricky

Last edited:
boombaby said:
[tex]\frac{1}{(n+1)!}+\frac{1}{(n+2)!}+...+\frac{1}{(n+k)!}<\frac{k}{(n+1)!}[/tex],

I got [tex] \frac{k}{(n+1)!} = \frac{k}{n!} - \frac{kn}{(n+1)!} [/tex]

I can't get anywhere. I want to say something like k/n! is convergent, therefore it is cauchy and we can say that,

[tex]| \frac{k}{n!} - \frac{kn}{(n+1)!} | < e [/tex]

I know that can't work because there is an n in the numerator but what else can I do?

Okay, I feel good. Somebody shoot me down!

Since 1/n! converges to 0 and n->inf , we can let e>0 and say there exists N in Naturals such that for all n >= N,

| 1/n! - 0 | < e/k.

Therefore,

| s_n+k - s_n | = 1/(n+1)! + ... + 1/(n+k)! < k/ (n+1)! < k/n! < k(e/k) = e.

Please, please, please let this be right. I am ready to move on.

this is not right.. as I said before, your k should be independent on epsilon.
try
[tex]\frac{1}{(n+1)!}+\frac{1}{(n+2)!}+...+\frac{1}{(n+k)!}=\frac{1}{(n+1)!} (1+\frac{1}{(n+2)}+\frac{1}{(n+2)(n+3)}+...\frac{1}{(n+2)...(n+k)})<\frac{1}{(n+1)!} (1+\frac{1}{(n+1)}+\frac{1}{(n+1)^{2}}+\frac{1}{(n+1)^{k}})<\frac{1}{n!n}[/tex]
so we can choose a N large enough, no matter how large your k is, its sum is less than a given epislon.

[tex]
\frac{1}{(n+1)!}+\frac{1}{(n+2)!}+...+\frac{1}{(n+ k)!}=\frac{1}{(n+1)!} (1+\frac{1}{(n+2)}+\frac{1}{(n+2)(n+3)}+...\frac{1 }{(n+2)...(n+k)})<\frac{1}{(n+1)!} (1+\frac{1}{(n+1)}+\frac{1}{(n+1)^{2}}+\frac{1}{(n +1)^{k}})<
[/tex]
[tex] < \frac{1}{(n+1)!} \sum_{j=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(n+1)^j} < \sum_{j=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(n+1)^j} = \frac{n+1}{n} [/tex]

Last edited:
no...it is useless that you have "...< (n+1)/n"

Choose N> 1/e. Then for all n > N we have that,

[tex]

\frac{1}{(n+1)!}+\frac{1}{(n+2)!}+...+\frac{1}{(n+k)!}=\frac{1}{(n+1)!} (1+\frac{1}{(n+2)}+\frac{1}{(n+2)(n+3)}+...\frac{1}{(n+2)...(n+k)})<\frac{1}{(n+1)!} (1+\frac{1}{(n+1)}+\frac{1}{(n+1)^{2}}+\frac{1}{(n+1)^{k}})<\frac{1}{n!n}<\frac{1}{n}<\varepsilon

[/tex]

Therefore, [tex]|s_{n+k}-s_n|<\varepsilon[/tex].

Is that right?

EDIT: Is that LaTeX showing up for anybody else?

Last edited:
[tex]
\frac{1}{(n+1)!}+\frac{1}{(n+2)!}+...+\frac{1}{(n+ k)!}=\frac{1}{(n+1)!} (1+\frac{1}{(n+2)}+\frac{1}{(n+2)(n+3)}+...\frac{1 }{(n+2)...(n+k)})<\frac{1}{(n+1)!} (1+\frac{1}{(n+1)}+\frac{1}{(n+1)^{2}}+\frac{1}{(n +1)^{k}})<\frac{1}{n!n}<\frac{1}{n}<\varepsilon
[/tex]

\\Edit: indeed latex isn't working

test:
[tex]\frac{1}{n!} \int^{1}_{0} sin x dx[/tex]

Edit: indeed

[tex]

\frac{1}{(n+1)!}+\frac{1}{(n+2)!}+...+\frac{1}{(n+ k)!}=\frac{1}{(n+1)!} (1+\frac{1}{(n+2)}+\frac{1}{(n+2)(n+3)}+...\frac{1 }{(n+2)...(n+k)})<\frac{1}{(n+1)!} (1+\frac{1}{(n+1)}+\frac{1}{(n+1)^{2}}+\frac{1}{(n +1)^{k}})<\frac{1}{n!n} [/tex]

[tex]<\frac{1}{n}<\varepsilon

[/tex]

Latex is working again :cool:

1. What is a Cauchy sequence?

A Cauchy sequence is a sequence of numbers that converges or gets closer and closer to a specific value as the sequence goes on. In other words, the terms in a Cauchy sequence become arbitrarily close to each other as the sequence progresses.

2. How do you determine if a sequence is Cauchy?

A sequence is considered Cauchy if, for any positive number, there exists a term in the sequence after which all subsequent terms are closer to each other than that given number. In other words, if the difference between any two terms in the sequence becomes smaller and smaller as the sequence goes on, the sequence is Cauchy.

3. What is the importance of Cauchy sequences in mathematics?

Cauchy sequences are important in mathematics because they provide a way to rigorously define the concept of convergence in a sequence. They are also used in many areas of mathematics, including calculus, real analysis, and complex analysis.

4. Can a sequence be Cauchy but not converge?

Yes, a sequence can be Cauchy but not converge. This can happen if the sequence has a limit that is not included in the sequence, or if the sequence has multiple limits. In these cases, the sequence is still considered Cauchy because the terms in the sequence become arbitrarily close to each other, but it does not have a single, well-defined limit.

5. How are Cauchy sequences related to the concept of completeness?

The concept of completeness states that every Cauchy sequence in a particular space must have a limit in that space. In other words, a space is complete if all Cauchy sequences in that space converge. This concept is important in many areas of mathematics, including analysis and topology.