Best Textbook for Calculus: Stewart Calculus?

In summary, there was a discussion about finding a good introductory calculus textbook that is reasonably priced. Suggestions were made for Stewart's Calculus book and Apostol's Calculus books. It was mentioned that Apostol's books are more rigorous and may not be necessary for learning calculus for physics. A recommendation was also made for Strang's textbook, which is available for free. The conversation also touched on the option of buying older versions of textbooks to save money and the differences between editions.
T.O.E Dream
I want to know i great textbook for calculus. Unfortunately, the cost of textbooks is much too high to be buying more than one. So is there a textbook that has a good intro to calculus as well as covers almost all of calculus and differential equations. Also, do i need any prior knowledge of math other than algebra, geometry and trigonometry. What about a stewart calculus book, are they well written?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
in my opinion
i think stwart calculus the most powerful textbook for beginners

A girl I'm tutoring asked me to suggest a good introductory calculus text, for a reasonable price. I was seriously out of ideas, as the only book I've had is Spivak so far. I would also like to avoid Stweart, as my glimpse of it has yielded no more than disgust. Any suggestions?

I feel like the Stewart text covers a whole lot, which is good for me. But there many reviews which have referred to the book as the worst book that a person can read. Are there any other books that cover the same contents but in a better approach?

Also remember i need to learn calculus for physics so if differential equations come with it that's better.

What about Apostol's calculus. He has two books one single variable and one multi-variable. It also includes a lot of differential equations, linear algebra, and analysis. How good is it on a beginner?

If you know most of what's covered in a calculus I class already then Apostol is a good choice. If not, then you should pick up a used copy of Stewart or something similar (don't get the newest edition, they barely change the book at all with new editions, and older editions cost <$10 used) and go through everything up to series. Apostol is used in honors calculus classes in college for kids who already took a calculus class in high school, so its not easy to go through cold.

But if you want to do calculus for physics then something as rigorous as Apostol isn't necessary. I don't see anything wrong with Stewart personally.

Last edited:
If i were to get a Stewart text, should a pick early transcendentals over the original?

I am 99% sure that they are the same textbook content wise. I have seen an older copy of the original Calculus book and it looked identical to a later edition of the Early Transcendentals variety.

Also, it is much more reasonable to look at stewart in comparison to other calculus books using google books than to put all your faith behind Amazon reviewers. Another point that's not often made is that it's definitely worth it to see what calc books are available at the library. There is no compelling reason to buy the book unless there are no renewals allowed (which would be weird). You save a lot of money and if you really want a certain book as a reference later or if you really liked it, then you can buy it, but this can be done later if the book is available at the library.

Many people on these forums will recommend Spivak, myself included, and some will look at a book such as Stewarts with disgust. But most people who encounter Spivak will have seen calculus before, even if this is not the original intent of the author. Just remember that Spivak is as good, if not better than many intro to analysis textbooks, so if you are not at that level yet, there is nothing wrong with starting with Stewart. I would recommend that you go to google books, search for Spivak (the 3rd edition should be online), and try to read chapter 1, chapter 5, or the part right after the last theorem in chapter 7 AND chapter 8 and see how it suits you. If you can get a grasp on what Spivak is talking about in those sections (more precisely, if you can follow his arguments), you can work through the entire book.

Last edited:
Thomas and Finney is not that bad either (although I used stewart.) :D

physicsnoob93 said:
Thomas and Finney is not that bad either (although I used stewart.) :D

Did you like the Stewart one? Was it easy to read? Do you think it's good for a self-studier such as myself who wants to go ahead of what's expected?

Yeah, I self studied too, and don't worry about the expectations. I'm supposed to be finishing algebra 2 now but I'm doing vector calculus from stewart's. By the way, get the full book, not the concepts one, it's more worth it.

Should i know learn any other branch of mathematics other than algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and pre-calculus before learning out of stewart's textbook?

No, those are your basic pre-reqs for calculus, so you're good to go.

Stewart's actually isn't that bad if you're just starting to learn the techniques.

T.O.E Dream said:
Should i know learn any other branch of mathematics other than algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and pre-calculus before learning out of stewart's textbook?

Nope. That's how much I knew when I started off. :) have fun!

Buy an older version and you will save money and be able to buy for less than $10.

j93 said:
Buy an older version and you will save money and be able to buy for less than $10.

How old should it be? 5th, 4th, 3rd,,,

And what's the difference between the 5th and the 6th.

Well you don't have to get an exact edition, but typically older editions are better. Which author are you planning to buy?

Well, I'm planing to buy Stewart. I think I'm going to get the 5th edition because there is no difference between that and the 6th. The only difference is the problems, but I'm just self studying, I'm not in a course that needs the problems from 6e.

Also, do you know how well Stewart's text covers vector calculus. Just Curious.

It's got sections on vectors but it's not as in depth as books dedicated on vector calculus

Last edited by a moderator:
Another book to consider: I think Stewart's book is unnecessarily too long. A few hundred pages too long, so he can charge you extra. If you're looking for a smaller text, try getting an old edition of Lang's calculus. I haven't read his multivariable calculus book though.

I used Thomas's Calculus in college, & as a complementary text I used the Calculus Lifesaver. Thomas's Calculus has plenty of problems to work & for the most part isn't too confusing, but at times I also read chapters from Stewart's book which was more down to earth, and I also used Calculus by Earl W. Swokowski https://www.amazon.com/dp/0534936245/?tag=pfamazon01-20. Can't really beat the rating on that one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone explain why certain people look at Stewart's with disgust? I honestly don't know why, as this is the only book I have learned from thus far. Have I been robbed of a proper foundation in calculus by using this (university chosen) book??

pmacias said:
Can someone explain why certain people look at Stewart's with disgust? I honestly don't know why, as this is the only book I have learned from thus far. Have I been robbed of a proper foundation in calculus by using this (university chosen) book??

I guess it's not a bad textbook if you're just starting to learn calculus, as you're just learning primarily the methods used and their applications.

But if you're looking to study the theory behind all these techniques, then you ought to look for something else.

I agree with thrill3rnit3. Another book for those who are starting out is the Springer Undergraduate Mathematics Series text. Very good IMO, without too much rigor.

Oh, I've already bought the stewart 5th edition. But i mean you guys can keep discussing if you want.

Thomas's Calculus 11th ed for Single variable and multivariable along side Michael Spivak's Calculus .., start Spivak when done with single variable calculus. don't get scared of spivak

i have thomas 7th edition its rock solid, has good intro to diff eqn, and a nice intro to matrices

Personally I learned Calculus with Thomas's Classic 2nd edition, and it was pretty good, didn't have some of the topics that later editions have, but it was a pretty good introduction.

1. What makes Stewart Calculus the best textbook for Calculus?

Stewart Calculus is considered the best textbook for Calculus because it offers a comprehensive and rigorous approach to the subject, with clear explanations and examples. It also includes a wide range of practice problems and exercises to help students master the material.

2. Is Stewart Calculus suitable for beginners?

Yes, Stewart Calculus is suitable for beginners as it starts with the basics and gradually builds upon them. It also provides helpful tips and strategies for understanding and solving problems, making it accessible for students with varying levels of mathematical background.

3. Are there any online resources that accompany Stewart Calculus?

Yes, Stewart Calculus has a variety of online resources such as interactive quizzes, video lectures, and additional practice problems. These resources can be accessed through the textbook's website or through the publisher's online learning platform.

4. How does Stewart Calculus compare to other popular textbooks?

Stewart Calculus is highly regarded among other popular Calculus textbooks due to its thorough coverage of the subject, its user-friendly format, and its emphasis on conceptual understanding. It also has a strong reputation for its accuracy and clarity of explanations.

5. Is there a difference between the early transcendentals and late transcendentals versions of Stewart Calculus?

Yes, the early transcendentals version of Stewart Calculus covers topics in the same order as they are typically taught in a Calculus course, while the late transcendentals version introduces transcendental functions later on. The choice between the two versions may depend on the curriculum of the specific course or instructor preference.