How can I tell when an electronic config is in ground or excited state?

In summary, to determine if an element is in ground or excited state, check if the electron configuration follows the order shown in the figure. To determine the element using a noble gas shortcut, find the noble gas in brackets, count the atomic number, and add it to the electron configuration outside of the brackets. In most cases, atoms are in the ground state unless energy is supplied to them.
leemarvin
How can I tell, with an electronic configuration, if an element is in ground or exited state? Also, how can I determine what element it is if it uses a noble gas shortcut? I assume I find the noble gas in brackets, count the atomic number, add it to the elec config outside of the brackets, and that atomic number is what element it is? Or is it more complicated?

My teacher said something about excited state being 'not normal', he didn't elaborate.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

leemarvin said:
How can I tell, with an electronic configuration, if an element is in ground or exited state?
If the electron configuration follows the order shown at the bottom of this figure, it is a ground state atom.
800px-Electron_orbitals.svg.png

(Figure is at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_configuration )

Also, how can I determine what element it is if it uses a noble gas shortcut? I assume I find the noble gas in brackets, count the atomic number, add it to the elec config outside of the brackets, and that atomic number is what element it is?
Yes.

My teacher said something about excited state being 'not normal', he didn't elaborate.
Most of the time, atoms are in the ground state. To be in an excited state, there must be energy supplied to the atom somehow -- for example by being at a high temperature, or being irradiated by light of sufficient energy.

What is an electronic configuration?

An electronic configuration refers to the arrangement of electrons in an atom, molecule, or other physical structure. It describes the specific energy levels and orbitals that electrons occupy.

What is the ground state of an electronic configuration?

The ground state of an electronic configuration is the lowest energy state that an atom or molecule can have. In this state, all of the electrons are in their lowest possible energy levels and orbitals.

What is an excited state of an electronic configuration?

An excited state of an electronic configuration is any state in which electrons have absorbed energy and moved to higher energy levels or orbitals. This can occur through various processes such as absorption of light or collision with other particles.

How can I tell if an electronic configuration is in the ground state or an excited state?

One way to determine if an electronic configuration is in the ground state or an excited state is to compare it to the known ground state configuration for that element or molecule. If the electrons are in different energy levels or orbitals than the ground state, then it is an excited state.

What are some factors that can cause an electronic configuration to be in an excited state?

An electronic configuration can be in an excited state due to various factors such as absorption of energy, collisions with other particles, or changes in temperature or pressure. It can also be in an excited state due to chemical reactions or interactions with other molecules or atoms.