PAM schematic or wiring diagram for Digital Communications

In summary, a PAM schematic diagram can be found on http://www.tech-faq.com/pulse-amplitude-modulation.html. The title of the schematic is "LAB - 3: PULSE AMPLITUDE MODULATION & DEMODULATION", and it is a schematic diagram for a R-2R Ladder DAC.
makovx
Hi. Who among you know a site where I can find a wiring diagram or schematic diagram of PAM (Pulse Amplitude Modulation)? I badly needed a diagram of it for my prototype in Digital Communications.

I've been searching for it in Google but it only gave me different diagrams and I can't tell which is which because I've never seen any PAM schematic diagram before. :(

The professor only told us that our second prototype is PAM. He only gave a brief description about what a PAM does. If I have not searched in the internet, I won't know that the meaning of PAM is Pulse Amplitude Modulation.

An article about what a PAM is, can be found in http://www.tech-faq.com/pulse-amplitude-modulation.html" [Broken]

I hope you can help me. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
makovx said:
Hi. Who among you know a site where I can find a wiring diagram or schematic diagram of PAM (Pulse Amplitude Modulation)? I badly needed a diagram of it for my prototype in Digital Communications.

I've been searching for it in Google but it only gave me different diagrams and I can't tell which is which because I've never seen any PAM schematic diagram before. :(

The professor only told us that our second prototype is PAM. He only gave a brief description about what a PAM does. If I have not searched in the internet, I won't know that the meaning of PAM is Pulse Amplitude Modulation.

An article about what a PAM is, can be found in http://www.tech-faq.com/pulse-amplitude-modulation.html" [Broken]

I hope you can help me. Thanks!

So to put out pulses of various amplitudes, you can use a Digital-to-Analog Converter (DAC). Probably the simplest version for you to use in your project would be an R-2R Ladder DAC. Alternately, you could use a current output mode DAC, and feed the output current into a current-to-voltage converter circuit (like with an opamp).

So that should give you some good search terms to use in your next try at Google and Wikipedia.org -- also try some of the DAC manufacturer websites like Maxim and Linear Technology, to look for application notes and tutorials.

Let us know what you find!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your immediate response :)

I found a pdf file about a laboratory excercise in PAM (and demodulation).
I think it's the one I am looking for.

The title is:
LAB - 3
PULSE AMPLITUDE MODULATION & DEMODULATION

and the circuit diagram is:
diagram_by_yourautumn.png

My problem this time is the hardware requirements.
I don't know what is the meaning of AFO, CRO and CPS.
Can you pls tell me what are these things? So that I can go to a hardware shop immediately :)

Thanks!

From what I saw in the PAM links, the output is a series of rectangular pulses, with different amplitude rectangular pulses representing the encoded (modulated) information.

The schematic you posted looks to be an ON-OFF modulation of a sinusoidal source. From the title of the schematic/lab, it appears to be a different interpretation of PAM. Do you think that is what your lab is about?

berkeman said:
From what I saw in the PAM links, the output is a series of rectangular pulses, with different amplitude rectangular pulses representing the encoded (modulated) information.

Yes, that's the PAM I exactly need.
You mean the circuit diagram I posted is a different interpretation of PAM. I see.

I'll try using the DAC you suggested then.

1. What is PAM in Digital Communications?

PAM stands for Pulse Amplitude Modulation. It is a type of modulation technique used in digital communications to convert analog signals into digital signals.

2. What is the purpose of a PAM schematic or wiring diagram?

The PAM schematic or wiring diagram is used to visually represent the connections and components involved in a PAM system. It helps in understanding the signal flow and troubleshooting any issues that may arise.

3. What are the components typically included in a PAM schematic or wiring diagram?

A PAM schematic or wiring diagram usually includes a source of information, a modulator, a channel, a demodulator, and a receiver. It may also include other components such as filters, amplifiers, and transmitters.

4. How do I read a PAM schematic or wiring diagram?

To read a PAM schematic or wiring diagram, you need to understand the symbols used to represent the different components. The diagram will also have labels and annotations to indicate the signal flow and connections between components.

5. Where can I find a PAM schematic or wiring diagram for Digital Communications?

PAM schematics or wiring diagrams can be found in technical manuals and textbooks on digital communications. They can also be found online on websites and forums related to digital communications. Additionally, some manufacturers may provide PAM schematics or wiring diagrams for their specific products.