Free Video Lectures from universities, all Math and Physics courses

In summary: I mean. The quality of the video is excellent, and the professor does a great job of making the material very interesting.
flyingpig
Like with all the opencoursewares universities have opened, is it possible that you can just visit their lectures if you miss class? I have visited pretty much every universities and videos out there and have made a list

PreCalculus& Algebra Physics

PatrickJmt
KhanAcademy

First Year Calculus/Physics

Physics with Kiledjian
http://web.mit.edu/physics/people/faculty/lewin_walter.html
Single Variable Calculus with David Jerison
PatrickJmt
KhanAcademy

Now beyond first year, I have some difficulty deciding whether some of these lectures are the same as my universities

Second Year Physics

http://oyc.yale.edu/physics/fundamentals-of-physics/content/class-sessions

I looked at the videos and some of the content seems to intercept that with what I did in first year

http://oyc.yale.edu/physics/physics/fundamentals-of-physics-ii/content/class-sessions

Same as Mechanics. The course codes are all with 2xx, so I thought it is 2nd year, I don't know, someone confirm this for me.

Modern Physics with Leonard Susskind

For Modern Physics, there were so many playlists, I don't even know where to begin. The total number of video lectures in each playlist number less than 30, which I suspect that they aren't targeted for undergraduates (usually we get about 20 lecture days? But his videos are like 2hrs long so I don't know) Someone please help me confirm this.

Second year Math

Linear Algebra with Gibert Strang

KhanAcademy

Multivariable with Denis Auroux

There are also a lot of videos on

ODE with Arthur Mattuck

Alright, so what is the purpose of this thread? I just want someone out there who is a lot more experienced than I am (probably all of you) to answer the questions I have above and also to post free online coursewares that you have found on the Internet that helped you and posted it here for other people.

I am personally having difficulties looking for a playlist for Thermodyanmics (Physics)

I've checked out Berkeley's opencourseware, it's not that it's bad, but the video quality of each video is almost unwatchable.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Yale Physics 200 course is essentially freshman physics, though it is intended for very well prepared freshmen.

Why is it course code "200" then...?

The infocobuild link that seouldavid gave above is very good for finding 80-90% of the good stuff out there. However, we are missing decent reviews of the videos. I am willing to offer my thoughts on many of them, but it would probably be better organized by subject than just a big catch-all thread.

No, I am posting this as to scout for more. Like a contribution thread.

flyingpig said:
The video is kinda blurry, but still beats Berkeley's videos...

If a mod could, please edit my post and add the link
Ya video is kinda blurry. But you say those are better than Berkeley's ? Can you give links to Berkeley lectures , if there are any on real analysis?

I am from India so don't know much about HarveyMudd college.I searched and saw that it is ranked 18 on Liberal-arts college lists . How are these colleges?

where_the said:
Ya video is kinda blurry. But you say those are better than Berkeley's ? Can you give links to Berkeley lectures , if there are any on real analysis?

I am from India so don't know much about HarveyMudd college.I searched and saw that it is ranked 18 on Liberal-arts college lists . How are these colleges?

Harvey Mudd was recently rated as the top engineering college in the US. The reason it's not better known is that it confers only the BS degree, and has no graduate program. But its graduates go on to get a PhD at something like the third highest rate of all US colleges.

Video lectures from HarveyMudd on real analysis are absolutely first rate, compared to any video lecture series out there, including the stuff on MIT OCW. I have watched and liked the entire series of lectures. They are based on "the" text on real analysis (baby rudin) and the lectures themselves are very well planned and delivered.

cool.
Because I was in search of real analysis lectures since many days. I hope they keep it on youtube for a few more months.

Any idea what the lecturer wants as prerequisites for the course? Cause I am not at rudin level yet.

Probably just Calculus is enough

Yes, single variable calculus, including infinite series and sequences, should be enough to get one through the lectures, however, I don't think that will be enough preparation if you plan on doing the problems in the book.

I am not planning on doing the problems as yet of Rudin. i was looking for an introduction -something of a first look on the subject. and I guess as you people mentioned the course is excellent for such a purpose.

In my college, all you need is a proof course to take Analysis.

im learning the basics of physics and QM from the leonard susskind series. it is simplified enough so i can understand it and the lectures seem pretty thorough. trying to teach myself the math is going alright too. i think i left off with algebra2 in high school. i found a used precalculus book at a booksale. i think i have long way to go.

well thanks for sharing physics course with us i am also a student of physics

saim_ said:
Video lectures from HarveyMudd on real analysis are absolutely first rate, compared to any video lecture series out there, including the stuff on MIT OCW. I have watched and liked the entire series of lectures. They are based on "the" text on real analysis (baby rudin) and the lectures themselves are very well planned and delivered.

Yeah, I have viewed that entire class, and it's phenomenal. It's too bad Baby Rudin will never have the great diagrams Prof Su illustrates the material with in those videos (everybody wanted to write like Bourbaki back then it seems). Baby Rudin is really hard to understand if you can't come up with diagrams on your own, so these videos give a heck of a leg up on that challenging text.

I would recommend having a multivariable calc class before doing analysis at the level of Baby Rudin. Single-variable calc you can get by on the formulas, but you tone up your geometric skills in multivariable with tangent planes, normals, volume elements and so on. Having strong geometric visualization skills pays big dividends in Baby Rudin when you're trying to understand the chapter on topology.

College of staten island's engineering department put together this resource lists of free college learning material, I found it useful! maybe some of you might too

http://www.apsc.csi.cuny.edu/csiengdp/curstpgs/reflink/reflink.html"

anyone have a good link for complex analysis?

i have been watching a few of these videos from khan academy and harvey mudd, and the thing that strikes me is how clear they are and also how slowly they move. it is hard for me to believe that schools like harvey mudd do not take more for granted from their students than that. It is hard for me to believe that a good student there who has read the book would be able to force himself to go to class.

My classes at UGA move much faster than those classes (as well as the ones I have seen at harvard, brandeis, and utah) and go much deeper than the khan academy courses. I would recommend a student in my class watch the khan academy video before coming to class, to help keep up with the lecture. And they need to watch several videos to cover one lecture.

I think the khan videos i have seen are remarkably clear, patient, and useful for even a high school student who knows almost nothing to get the basics of the subject, but I would think most college classes, certainly honors level ones, will be much more challenging than these videos. It also seems my honors level freshman calc at UGA (one level below the Spivak course) was on a higher level than harvey mudd's intro to analysis class, but i could be wrong.

I'm just saying, do not expect classes at top schools, especially those aimed at math majors, to hold your hand as some of these videos do. They will assume far more skill with algebra and background material, and discuss much deeper and more subtle aspects of the subject. Of course if an analysis student has only rudin to learn from he needs as much clarity and patience as possible from the lecturer.

mathwonk said:
i have been watching a few of these videos from khan academy and harvey mudd, and the thing that strikes me is how clear they are and also how slowly they move. it is hard for me to believe that schools like harvey mudd do not take more for granted from their students than that. It is hard for me to believe that a good student there who has read the book would be able to force himself to go to class.

My classes at UGA move much faster than those classes (as well as the ones I have seen at harvard, brandeis, and utah) and go much deeper than the khan academy courses. I would recommend a student in my class watch the khan academy video before coming to class, to help keep up with the lecture. And they need to watch several videos to cover one lecture.

I think the khan videos i have seen are remarkably clear, patient, and useful for even a high school student who knows almost nothing to get the basics of the subject, but I would think most college classes, certainly honors level ones, will be much more challenging than these videos. It also seems my honors level freshman calc at UGA (one level below the Spivak course) was on a higher level than harvey mudd's intro to analysis class, but i could be wrong.

I'm just saying, do not expect classes at top schools, especially those aimed at math majors, to hold your hand as some of these videos do. They will assume far more skill with algebra and background material, and discuss much deeper and more subtle aspects of the subject. Of course if an analysis student has only rudin to learn from he needs as much clarity and patience as possible from the lecturer.
I completely agree, I stopped watching Khan videos because the slow pace really bores! Their videos are quite rudimentary, albeit they are very good for grounding a concept and getting introduced to the basics. I find the book a much better resource, but that is only the case if one are comfortable with the formalism.

mathwonk said:
It is hard for me to believe that a good student there who has read the book would be able to force himself to go to class.

True. I go to class though because sometimes it gives you a deeper intuition / understanding about the subject. I also go to class to make sure I don't miss anything important or miss something that he stresses about, which is likely to be on the test. Most of the time I'll sit in the lecture and solve my own problems, and if I hear something notable then I would pay attention to that particular statement.

The Khan videos are really for people who either do not have access to traditional schooling or need remedial assistance. Most of the topics are for high-school level courses. His pace is perfect for what it is aimed at.

I believe the Harvey Mudd analysis class is for freshmen.
http://www.math.hmc.edu/~su/math131/

Good luck on doing a better job making Rudin work for 1st year students...

mathwonk said:
It also seems my honors level freshman calc at UGA (one level below the Spivak course) was on a higher level than harvey mudd's intro to analysis class, but i could be wrong.

You discuss subtle things like compactness, construction of the reals, the Cantor set, and rearrangements in a first college math class? Wow, I would have gotten killed learning those concepts fresh out of high school, especially at a fast pace. I do agree that stuff like equivalence relations, induction, and rational numbers should be relegated to self study early in the quarter/semester if not covered in prereqs and spending two lectures on cardinality is a bit much, but wow... that topology chapter of Baby Rudin was really rough when we sped through it in my first analysis class. We missed out on lots of those great diagrams Prof Su gives to make the chapter seem like more than just a bunch of definitions and slick tricks to prove things.

Last edited:
any video lectures on combinatorics?

any lectures on Classical mechanics (upper division)?

is the rigorous one up to the level of landau?

I have not extensively read Landau/Lifgarbagez but the lectures seem to be at a similar level. If anything the lectures might be a bit less sophisticated, but by very little as far as I can tell.

battousai said:

Hey I'm working on the lectures and Landau's book right now. Lectures are very very good but still not on par with Landau in terms of rigor. That being said, the prof is wonderful and the depth probed by him during the lectures is at similar level to that of Landau's. I think Calkin's Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Mechanics supplement the lectures better than Landau.