Anders Behring Breivik judged judicially insane

• News
  • Thread starter arildno3
  • Start date
In summary, forensic psychiatrists have concluded that Breivik is judicially insane, meaning he may be sentenced to involuntary confinement at a psychiatric hospital. This decision has sparked mixed reactions, with some believing it is the best way to permanently remove him from society, while others see it as a way to avoid personal guilt and retain credibility for his cause. However, it is ultimately up to the court and the National Forensic Board to determine the validity of the report and the severity of Breivik's confinement. Some have expressed surprise at the diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia, which could potentially allow for his permanent confinement with annual reviews. Others speculate that this may be a way to circumvent Norway's short sentences for murder. Despite the complicated legal process,
arildno3
Just now, it has been revealed, to the surprise of us all that the forensic psychiatrists have concluded that Breivik is judicially insane.
This means that if their 230-page report is accepted as valid forensic material, and no second opinion is sought, the court (set for April 2012) may sentence him to involuntary confinement at a psychiatric hospital.

I am not happy with this, but it MIGHT be the best action to ensure his PERMANENT removal from society.
Nor am I happy that I've forgotten mypasword at PF.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps he seriously is mentally ill. Either way he won't hurt anyone again.

Also make sure you PM Greg ASAP about your password.

The next phase is now that the National Forensic Board scrutinizes the report made by the two appointed psychiatrists to see if it is a scientifically sound document (this is standard procedure in Norway). The Board's conclusions are expected to be finished by Christmas; what is extraordinar with this case is that the full 9-man Board will be actively involved; usually, only 2 or 3 of the Board members checks the report frm the psychiatrists.

I don't think this news is as bad as it first seems.

The last thing that he wants is to be in the record books as insane.

It is not a question of what HE wants, but of what I, and other Norwegians want.
Getting the diagnosis "paranoid schizophrenic" removes the level of personal guilt from him; and to retain that level is more important than the probable length of his confinement.

dacruick said:
I don't think this news is as bad as it first seems.

The last thing that he wants is to be in the record books as insane.
I was thinking this exact thing. I imagine he wants to go down in history as a martyr for his cause that would stimulate others to do the same and start a revolution. Going down as a deranged mentally ill loser who committed an atrocity is definitely not what he wants.

arildno3 said:
It is not a question of what HE wants, but of what I, and other Norwegians want.
Getting the diagnosis "paranoid schizophrenic" removes the level of personal guilt from him; and to retain that level is more important than the probable length of his confinement.

I agree, that's a frustrating sentiment.

I am fairly ignorant about Breivik's current legal situation, it just seems to me like being labelled insane wouldn't be beneficial to him.

Originally, I assumed that his "movement" would lose credibility due to a ruling of insanity. After doing a little bit of reading, I see that it is quite likely that some blame for his actions could be placed on the society that "made him that way".

This is a very tragic incident, and the thought of this man disgusts me. If it were up to me, I'd probably have him killed so I'm not sure I'm the right person to be discussing these matters.

arildno3 said:

No, it's a matter of what is legal and just. Unless Norway has descended to mob rule since I last checked?

NeoDevin said:
No, it's a matter of what is legal and just. Unless Norway has descended to mob rule since I last checked?
Exactly. Justice is not and should not be a democratic process. You can't gather up a large group and vote on what to do in each case, that's ad-hoc justice. Rather you use democracy to establish the laws and the punishment that are then applied to each case impartially.

Well, several psychiatrists have expressed strong surprise that he has been diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic, although a main characteristic of that disease, namely suffering from auditory or visual hallucinations are expressly denied by the observing psychiatrists.

arildno said:
Well, several psychiatrists have expressed strong surprise that he has been diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic, although a main characteristic of that disease, namely suffering from auditory or visual hallucinations are expressly denied by the observing psychiatrists.
Is this diagnosis perhaps an end-run around Norway's short sentences for murder? Can he be locked up permanently with such a diagnosis, for instance, with annual reviews? I don't know how your system works, but a mass-murderer would either get the death penalty in the US, or consecutive life sentences (no chance for release, ever).

turbo said:
Is this diagnosis perhaps an end-run around Norway's short sentences for murder? Can he be locked up permanently with such a diagnosis, for instance, with annual reviews? I don't know how your system works, but a mass-murderer would either get the death penalty in the US, or consecutive life sentences (no chance for release, ever).
That is, indeed, what I suspect.

The convoluted process for a person sentenced by court to compulsory mental health care (questions of factual, if not judicial, guilt must still be determined by a court of law) is as follows:
Every 3 years, the compulsory mental health care program must be reviewed by a court of law. It is the SUFFICIENT for his continued detainment that he is deemed to suffer from the same mental illness as was present during his actions an during the observations that were the foundation for the psychiatrist's report. If a court finds at such a time that no longer can be regarded as criminally insane, but still poses a danger to society, there exists an obscure, little-used provision that he can be transferred to a more conventional detention program.
If, however, the court decides that he no longer is mentally ill, and no longer poses a threat to society, he must be released. so, in theory he could be out in 2015, but probably be confined for his full, physical life.

It also seems like the ultimate way to take revenge on breivik. He really wants his ideas and motivation to be understood and taken seriously, and warn the world about islam (rightly so btw), but if it becomes commonly accepted that he is schizophrenic, his acts will be seen as completely senseless. And for him to be released, he will have to betray his own convictions, which if he isn't insane probably never will.

Tonight, the national television channel NRK brings interviews with ABBs father and step-father.
I guess I'll have to watch it.

arildno said:
Tonight, the national television channel NRK brings interviews with ABBs father and step-father.
I guess I'll have to watch it.

That sounds quite interesting. Let us know how the interview goes.

1. What does it mean to be judged judicially insane?

Being judged judicially insane means that a person has been found not responsible for their actions due to a severe mental illness or disorder. This decision is made by a court of law after a thorough evaluation and assessment of the individual's mental state.

2. Who determines if someone is judged judicially insane?

The determination of whether someone is judged judicially insane is made by a judge or jury in a court of law. This decision is typically based on the testimony and evidence presented by mental health experts and other witnesses.

3. What is the process for determining if someone is judged judicially insane?

The process for determining if someone is judged judicially insane involves a comprehensive evaluation by mental health professionals, including psychiatrists and psychologists. This evaluation may include interviews, psychological testing, and a review of the individual's medical and psychiatric history.

4. Can someone who is judged judicially insane receive a prison sentence?

No, someone who is judged judicially insane cannot receive a prison sentence. Instead, they may be institutionalized in a psychiatric hospital or receive other forms of treatment for their mental illness. The goal of this treatment is to help the individual become stable and no longer a danger to themselves or others.

5. Is being judged judicially insane the same as being found not guilty by reason of insanity?

No, being judged judicially insane is not the same as being found not guilty by reason of insanity. While both outcomes result in the individual not being held responsible for their actions, the legal process and consequences may differ. Being judged judicially insane does not necessarily mean the individual will be released, as they may still be subject to court-ordered treatment or institutionalization.