How many milligrams of Vitamin C were in the original tablet?

• Thread starter ammora313
  • Start date
In summary: Also, make sure to include the correct unit - milligrams (mg).In summary, the question involves determining the amount of ascorbic acid in a vitamin C tablet by titrating a 25.0 mL aliquot of a solution made by dissolving the tablet in 250 mL of water. The titration used a 0.0151M titrant and required 9.40 milliliters of the titrant. By using the equation M1V1=M2V2 and stoichiometry of the reaction, the amount of ascorbic acid was calculated to be 248.3 mg. The correct number of significant digits should be used and the unit should be included in the answer.
ammora313

Homework Statement

You ground your vitamin C tablet and dissolved it in 250. mL of water in a volumetric flask. You used a 25.0 mL aliquot of this solution for your titration. If it takes 9.40 milliliters of your 0.0151M titrant, how many milligrams of ascorbic acid (MW 176.12) were in the original tablet?

Homework Equations

M1V1=M2V2

The Attempt at a Solution

0.015 M x 0.0940 L = M 2 V2

I'm not sure I'm using the right equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are not told what the titrant is, question doesn't make sense. And M1V1=M2V2 is not a "relevant equation"when it comes to titrations, it is a specific case which may, or may not work.

Compare

http://www.titrations.info/titration-calculation

for a very basic example of the titration where this equation doesn't work.

The titrant of this experiment is triiodide, but it didn't have that info in the question.

What is the reaction? Or more precisely - what is stoichiometry of the reaction? In what molar ratio do ascorbic acid react with iodine (or triiodide, it is the same in this context)?

Reaction: C6H8O6 + I3- +H2O ↔ C6H6O6 +3I- +2H3O+
Stoichiometry is one to one.

So 9.40 mL of 0.015 M titrant contains 1.41x10^-4 mol I3-.
Since it's a 1:1, 25mL aliquot contains 1.41x10^-4 moles vitamin C.
There are 10 25mL in 250 mL so 10 x 1.41x10^-4 moles = 1.41 x 10^-3 moles
1.41x10^-3 x 176.12 = 0.2483292g = 248.3 mg.

Are my sig figs correct?

Don't round down intermediate results - that is, round them down for reporting, but use as many digits as you have for further calculations.

Your final result is slightly off (I suppose that's because of this rounding down). Both volume and concentration of the titrant are given with three significant digits, so your final answer should have three digits as well.

1. How do I determine the amount of Vitamin C in the original tablet?

The amount of Vitamin C in a tablet can be determined by reading the nutrition label on the packaging. Look for the milligram (mg) amount listed under Vitamin C.

2. What is the recommended daily intake of Vitamin C?

The recommended daily intake of Vitamin C varies based on age and gender. However, the general guideline is 75-90 mg for adults and 45-75 mg for children.

3. Can you overdose on Vitamin C from a single tablet?

It is highly unlikely to overdose on Vitamin C from a single tablet. The recommended daily intake of Vitamin C is much lower than the amount that would lead to an overdose.

4. How does the amount of Vitamin C in the tablet compare to other sources?

The amount of Vitamin C in a tablet can vary greatly depending on the brand and type. However, compared to other sources, such as fruits and vegetables, a single tablet typically contains a higher concentration of Vitamin C.

5. Is it possible for the amount of Vitamin C in a tablet to decrease over time?

Yes, the amount of Vitamin C in a tablet can decrease over time due to exposure to heat, light, and air. It is important to store Vitamin C supplements properly to maintain their potency.